What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. affinis

I received a few D. affinis from Forbes, and was wondering who else was cultivating this species, and how. Also post pics if you have any. There seems to be little to no information out there about this species.

Hi,

Drosera affinis is an easy to grow species. In winter, it likes it a bit warmer than other african Drosera (remember this plant comes from Namibia, which is a bit more to the north than south-africa). I am cultivating this plant since 2004 and had no trouble with them so far, except, that my plants have not yet flowered. Last year i was happy to get some seeds of this species. They have germinated as good as most of the other easy south-african Drosera.

Btw, it can easily propagated by leaf cuttings.

Christian

Hey Zak, does your D. affinis from Forbes look anything like this
affinisSmall.jpg

That plant came from him, and it doesn't look anything like other D. affinis pictures I've seen. So I don't know about this guy "Forbes"...
smile_m_32.gif

Peter

hate to tell ya peter but thats not D. affinis
smile_h_32.gif
. google for the picture

The properites of the pic say affinis, don't they...? But the tag in the pot says "snyderi", which looks plausible.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hate to tell ya peter but thats not D. affinis

Yep, thats why I wrote what I did below the picture
smile_m_32.gif

Joe, what you mentioned is just an example of Forbes' great record keeping; he got the plant from Ivan Snyder. It could well be that somewhere in the propagation process there was a label mix-up. I'll have to ask Ivan next meeting.

Peter

Hi,

Most likely there are more wrong ided Drosera affinins, than the true one. True affinis looks nothing like the plant in the picture above (which looks like a Drosera spatulata to me). Here is an older picture of one of my plants:

affinis_DROS93_003.jpg

Drosera affinis

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That plant came from him, and it doesn't look anything like other D. affinis pictures I've seen. So I don't know about this guy "Forbes"...
smile_m_32.gif

You better watch out! You're tuggin' on superman's cape ...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ Feb. 05 2006,8:36)]You better watch out! You're tuggin' on superman's cape ...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Yeah, but I know where he lives.
smile_n_32.gif

Actually for the record I believe he told me when he gave me the plant that its not D. affinis.

Peter

It's a little hard to tell right now, as it was an extra thrown in. It's still very small, and recovering from shock. I assume it was grown in a terrium so it looks like it may have to get use to the lower humidity, which is still around 70% because I live near the water. I guess I'll know more when it's bigger. From the photos I've seen I'd say it's more likely than not D. affinis.

You can see pictures of one of my D. affinis Namibia plants here: http://sdcarnivorousplants.photosite.com/BACPSsh....ad.html
http://sdcarnivorousplants.photosite.com/BACPSsh....ad.html
(looking rather stressed after spending a few days in the car). I believe it's the real McCoy. It came to me from a local TC expert, not Ivan. Peter's plant (most indubitably a D. spatulata) came from the LACPS seedbank, which is run by Ivan. In the future, I will have to remember to confiscate the labels from the mislabeled plants I give to Peter for the bog at the local botanical gardens...

BTW Peter, don't you owe me $10? If you're short on cash, I could be convinced to accept your camera as remuneration. I know where you live, ya know.

ZAK,
The plants I sent are cuttings that were growing in the sort of sealed containers illustrated below. They will grow quickly if gradually acclimated to bright, airy conditions.

I find the species grows easily in good peat-based mixes or clean podzols. It appears to favor the same moderately warm, bright conditions as the other ever-growing South African sundews.

Sundew_propagation_D_capillaris_x_rotundifolia.sized.jpg
Sundew_propagation.jpg

Thanks Forbes Both the plants you sent me have now become "office plants". I had a few of those square terriums from a recent Lowes rescue and I put them in those. I just changed the lights in my office to 1-5000kand 1-3000k. Both plants seem to have improved noticably since I've brought them to the office. I'll acclimate them to the humidity when their a little larger. Heaven know as much as I'm at the office these day they'll get more attention from me than my home plants. Thanks again.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW Peter, don't you owe me $10? If you're short on cash, I could be convinced to accept your camera as remuneration. I know where you live, ya know.

My camera went broke - I'm actually using Noah's
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Peter's plant (most indubitably a D. spatulata) came from the LACPS seedbank, which is run by Ivan. In the future, I will have to remember to confiscate the labels from the mislabeled plants I give to Peter for the bog at the local botanical gardens...

Yeah whatever... thats the trouble with the sticky little weeds. They all look the same. I can make them look nice, but that doesn't mean they're superior or anything
confused.gif

Cheers,
Peter

Back