What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis flower not opening fully

My D. capensis has a flower stalk up, and when the time comes for the next flower to open up, it starts, but then even before the individual petals seperate, it closes up and shrivels, and the same thing happens with the other flowers. The plant is perfectly healthy, it's just that the flowers don't completely open. I woke up a 6:00 am to see if they were opening then for some reason, but they weren't, and by around 1:00 pm, they just close up even though they haven't even opened up fully. What's happening here?

Many thanks,
-Ben

I never see mine fully open either.

How often did you check on it?

I check on it every hour, often every half hour, from when I get up in the morning, around 9:00 am, though they don't open up completely.

-Ben

could they have possibly already have pollinated themselves?

Mine opens up for 2-3 hours in the morning (8am-11:30am) before it starts to close and shrivels. It was initially like yours dying off before fully opened. Since then, I've put the pot in 3 inch water and I see flowers all the time!
smile.gif

Pauline.

Sometimes the flowers are just fickle like that. They're never very long-lived, though; the longest I've ever seen one open is over the course of one afternoon. It's nothing to worry about - you'll probably even get seed.
~Joe

I have noticed this too. Just last week one flower stayed fully opened until almost sunset but 2 days later the next flower on the stalk never fully opened and then shriveled by noon. It may be temp. and humidity. On the day of the first flower it was in the high 70's and 75% or so humidity. On the day of the second flower the temp was low 60's and less than 50% humidity.

Yes, I noticed now that after I moved my plant towards the opening of my terrarium so that the flowers stuck out into the fresh air, they started to open up much more. So I think that it is temp and humidity.

-Ben

Well, my temp and humidity haven't changed, but the flowers grew up past the lights, and they opened for quite awhile today, 3-4 hours that I noticed.

Back