Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosophyllum seed sprouted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar, two inches between seeds is not a lot of space. Drosophyllum can get quite large, so if you get several germinate you may be best to try to move some of them into their own seperate pots. This will have to be done while the plants are still very small or they will curl up and die. I have never tried to grow more than one in each pot, because it was said that they produced a hormone that inhibited each others growth. I have now heard that this is a fallacy though and you can grow more than one in a pot quite successfully, but I would think they would need a bit more than two inches between them to be comfortable.

piranhaPlant, if you are gerinating them on vermiculite, you should make sure the vermiculite is very wet. as soon as you see a shoot from the seed then move it the same day into its final pot. You shouldn't need to worry about settling it in, it will find its own way if you move it quick enough and just place it on the surface of the wet media. Once it has rooted into the pot and is settled and growing well, the media should be kept drier.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think one pot should be fine, for me at least. The spacing is maybe closer to three inches... about a thumb's length, maybe a little more. If they start coming up too close together then I'll pull some, but my pot is quite large - like a foot across, maybe more. The only other pot I have is the same size, and I just don't think I need two jumbo pots of Drosophyllum. I don't even have the sand to mix a new pot up, or space to light it. When I bought my seed I wasn't expecting such a high germination rate, and I certainly didn't think I'd even get near a 50% survival rate. I just wanted four or five plants in one big pot.
    Thanks for the tips,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, one of mine germinated. Now to not kill it...
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two, then three germinate. I put the first 2 in individual 8" terracotta pots using Jeremiah's soil mix. My wife laughed at them because they look so puny in the huge pots! My son broke both the larger 12" pots i got for the Slack method in a tricycle accident ! After reading this thread, I will add the new sprout to one of the pots that already has a sprout. I will let you know how the pair does.
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12