What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat frozen during stratification

I have some pots of a cobra lily, purple pitcher, and round-leaf sundew seeds in stratification. The peat is now frozen and looks dried out. I have a picture of one of the pots but I don't know how to post it so everyone can see it. Would I email it to someone who knows how to post it so I can get some advice? Is it ok for the peat to freeze like it is?

All those plants are temperates, which means that they normally experience doramncy and sub-freezing temps. I can't speak with my own experience, but it seems reasonable that no harm was done.

I froze my D. rotundifolia, and they did fine. Heck I even froze the VFT's that were with them, and they did fine.

It looks dry but as soon as it thaws it will look wet again.

No worries, you're OK. I had Darlingtonia, D. rotundifolia, and S. rubra out in freezing temps last winter and they all came up fine. Keep the pot out of the wind so it doesn't dry up in the cold; cover it loosely or put it in a cold shed or something.
~Joe

Back