User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: seed catcher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well a ome of you know, my spatulatas are flowering. i was wondering how could you put something to catch the falling seeds in a classic terrarium? because i am going to be gone for 4 days, and dont want all the seeds to drop in that time. i have 13 flowers shooting up as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try making a little paper funnel that all the flower stalks go through. just an idea [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or stage a plastic cup beneath the flower stalks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mesh net!
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put a plastic bag over each scape and tie it with wire/ string around the middle of the scape. If possible, you can even bend it over a bit. Or better yet, CUT IT OFF!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] You'll be throwing away seeds soon anyways!

Good luck,
    Fernando Rivadavia

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut it off and place it in a glass of water with the flower pods hanging over the edge of the glass.. Then put the glass onto a big dinner plate so that the seeds can fall onto that. You may lose a few of the least developed pods that way, but as mentioned, you will soon be so swamped with seeds that it wont matter. You may even end up with plantlets forming on the submerged parts of the stalk. Its worth a try no matter what.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done that with D. intermedia... worked just fine [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    It is hard to always be a human being... people get in the way.

An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ Feb. 14 2006,5:54)]Just put a plastic bag over each scape and tie it with wire/ string around the middle of the scape.
    That sounds like a good idea to me. After all of the pods are developed inside the baggie, you could just cut off the scape, and keep all the seeds in the bag.

I'd be concerned about humidity inside the bag though. Maybe put a few airholes in it.