What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yessssssss! my D. indica sprouted.

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
In January, I found a forgotten pack of D. indica seeds that I'd got back on Nov. 22, 2004. They'd been buried on my desk all that time. Decided to sprout them in water as anything I've tried to sprout in soil has not done well, if it did anything.

The seeds after 13 days.
70080359O276789656.jpg

70080388O567369873.jpg

Planting the seedlings on Feb. 2 with a toothpick.
70086942O554779749.jpg

and some of the ginormous seedlings today.
70080513O967328041.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them.
smile.gif

I've gotta say you've got a lot of patience! Hope they do well for you, keep us posted.

Peter

Wow! I hope that they will thrive well. My D. indica somehow germinated before winter, which have endured the winter under artificial light.

Hey hey! Cool! I'd have been worried about mucking things up and crushing them with the toothpick while trying to plants them. Good job.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Feb. 19 2006,8:57)]Hey hey! Cool! I'd have been worried about mucking things up and crushing them with the toothpick while trying to plants them. Good job.
smile.gif
I worried about that too at first, but I used the toothpick more to place them in the small holes made with the toothpick. Then I used a spray bottle set to fine mist to wash/settle the soil in around the roots. The hard part was getting the seedlings off the damp end of the toothpick.

Congratulations! My one and only attempt (2 years ago) yielded nothing.  
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks Jim. They are finally big enough I can count most of them. There's just a tad more than 40 of them
laugh.gif
. Next on my list is the D. hartmeyerorum seeds that I have had buried on the same desk. I think they are close to two years old. Maybe more. So far only 2 of them have germinated. That's 2 more than I expected. Gonna have to treat them extra special so I can get more seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Next on my list is the D. hartmeyerorum seeds that I have had buried on the same desk. I think they are close to two years old. Maybe more. So far only 2 of them have germinated. That's 2 more than I expected. Gonna have to treat them extra special so I can get more seed.

I find myself in a similar position, with seeds "buried in a desk." This's some good motivation to ignore the fact that they're probably inviable by now and give it a shot. Keep it comin'!
smile_m_32.gif

Just an update on the seedlings. They are now about 2 to 2½ inches tall. Twenty four of the 40 seedlings I started with have survived my care so far, plus another 13 seeds sprouted after I first posted for a total of 37 plants. The last 13 are still pretty small right now. That seems to be the biggest "gotcha" that sprouting them in water has. They don't mature as fast as seed spouted on soil do. That, I think, may be due to tha lack of nutrients in the water.

Here's a pic of the first batch:
109385894O152122955.jpg

smile.gif

Thats great man I know you get a huge amount of satisfaction from them.I just sowed some seeds last week.How long does it normally take venusta and spatulata to sprout?

TheDuke- it should take anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple of months, usually I get germination in about a months with rosetted sundews
biggrin.gif

BCK- I only recently FINALLY got this species to sprout for me- a word of caution, the person who sent me the seeds cautioned that once you get success with the species, it can get like D.capensis in the "weedy" department, so keep a close eye- somehow I got seeds in more than one pot and I sowed them onto a pot that wasn't even in my tray at the time, still duuno how exactly that happened but it did so be careful man!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ May 31 2006,6:43)]...somehow I got seeds in more than one pot and I sowed them onto a pot that wasn't even in my tray at the time, still duno how exactly that happened but it did so be careful man!!
Sounds like my D. binata seedlings.
laugh.gif
I have three or four that sprouted in several different pots. I haven't had D. binata seed in months, yet these popped up. I think they may be from some recycled soil that came from a pot of seedlings that I thought had failed. After 6 months of moss and slime I thought they were gonners. Guess I was wrong
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I forgot to mention I had some success with the D. hartmayerorum seeds I mentioned in my post on Feb. 20th. I now have four seedlings. Two of them may or may not grow, but the two others are doing well and enjpoying their meals of springtails
cool.gif

Back