What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy care

glider14

Always a newbie
im thinking about a pygmy or two could anyone provide me with some care instructions and some good starter species i should try?
thanks
glider

I believe that D. scorpioides is considered to be a very easy pygmy. I'm only now starting to grow a second type of pygmy, so I have little to compare them against, but they've been very easy for me. I grow mine in full sun in a peat and sand mix. They haven't complained much about occasional drying for me, and they take dry/hot days and cold nights just fine.. The biggest worry I've had with these is making sure they get enough sun, otherwise they can become etiolated, tip over and die.

You can look on the trading forum to see if there are any more open offers for gemmae (I'd send some to you if I had any, but spring has come early and normal growth has resumed so I'm all out.) Hope this helps!

hmm thats gonna be hard...full sun? the only window in my room get full shade. hmmm maby i can trade rooms with my brothers =D. can they be grown under growlights in a hot terrarium(85* day 75* night w/ very high humidity)?

I'd imagine that a setup like that would do fine. It shouldn't even be TOO big of a problem- just don't let them fall over. You can put stakes in the pot or something. If a plant is healthy then it shouldn't have too great of a risk of tipping. There are surely other ways than full sun to grow them, I just meant that it's the way that I do it, and what you should watch out for. Remember, these're adaptable little buggers!

Glider, for D. scorpioides and the other "common" pygmies, the lights are a good idea if you don't have a window with a lot of direct sun. They are like VFTs in that respect, they like lotsa light. Don't worry about keeping the humidity high for them though. They handle low humidity and room temps just fine. As Est says, they are adaptable. Mine do fine with 25% to 30% humidity and temps between 65°f and 75°f during the winter. During the summer I grow them outside. The humidity is about the same and the temps are 75°f to 85°f (most of the time) during the day with lows in the high 40°f to mid 50°f range.

Back