What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B.liniflora

It's a little blurry, but here's a pic of some of my b.liniflora seedlings. I love how this species looks when it's small.  

IMG_0056.jpg

I have a few other byblis seedlings in other pots, but they're so small my digital cam can't take good pics of them.

Man, the parent plant is prolific!

Those are pretty cool little plants you got there! I agree, they do look nice when they're little.

-Ben

Yeah, they do look cool when they're young. For me, it's the dainty, graceful appearance they have.

I just woke up this morning to find some S.rubra, D.filiformis, and D.peltata seeds that germinated. WOO HOO! Springtime is here......well, not quite yet.....it was -20F with windchill last nite!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Feb. 25 2006,7:49)]Those are pretty cool little plants you got there!  I agree, they do look nice when they're little.

-Ben
Yes, but they do grow up and become adolescent. Then they have all kinds of issues. You know... comparing themselves to one another and who has more dew than the other and how who flowers first and how many flowers and....
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, but they do grow up and become adolescent. Then they have all kinds of issues. You know... comparing themselves to one another and who has more dew than the other and how who flowers first and how many flowers and....

Rofl! Nice one, Jim.
laugh.gif

I'm glad to say that I've got some B. liniflora seedlings myself. In the same flat, there's the recent addition of several (now sprouted) D. nitidula ssp. allantostigma and only JUST sprouted (first sprout was yesterday) location Sarracenia. Hurray! I'm especially looking forward to seeing these B. liniflora getting bigger.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, but they do grow up and become adolescent. Then they have all kinds of issues. You know... comparing themselves to one another and who has more dew than the other and how who flowers first and how many flowers and....

smile_n_32.gif
  Funny!  Perhaps a beauty pagent will give them incentive to put all their energy into flowers!....and then copious seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm glad to say that I've got some B. liniflora seedlings myself. In the same flat, there's the recent addition of several (now sprouted) D. nitidula ssp. allantostigma and only JUST sprouted (first sprout was yesterday) location Sarracenia.  Hurray!  I'm especially looking forward to seeing these B. liniflora getting bigger.

Congrats on the germinations--yeah, watching the seedlings grow and mature is definitely cool.  What method did you use to germinate the liniflora?...just curious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Congrats on the germinations--yeah, watching the seedlings grow and mature is definitely cool. What method did you use to germinate the liniflora?...just curious.

I did a warm water soak, then a quick 1:10 bleach:water wash, then let them sit in clear water again. The funny thing is that all of the purple pigment washed out of the seeds during the first soak, not during the bleaching!

After that, the seeds went in to 2 different pots. The mixes are something like 1:1:1 peat:sand:pumice, I think the smaller pot has more sand/pumice. I pot a thin layer of peat on top, just to get an germination surface that isn't too rocky (more for my benefit than the plant's; it's darn hard to spread these things out evenly!)

I start days off when I wake up and I turn the growlight on (a single growlight, nothing fancy.) When I get home from school, they go outside (covered for humidity) in to the blasting sun, or stay inside under the light if it's rainy. The smaller pot that is inside of the carrying flat with the Sarra seeds and Drosera gemmae are on a heating pad whenever inside.

Germination rates have been pretty good! I just found another straggeler germinate a few days ago, though. Hoping that I can get these guys to flower and thrive!

BTW, chloroplast, you were asking about germinating devil's claws a while back, weren't you? Did they turn out?!

--Edit: Well, what do you know! I just read where you mentioned them in another topic... I hope they germinate SOON!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did a warm water soak, then a quick 1:10 bleach:water wash, then let them sit in clear water again. The funny thing is that all of the purple pigment washed out of the seeds during the first soak, not during the bleaching!

I used Pingman's bleach method and found the same thing--after a 24 h soaking in distilled water, the water looked very purple. Not much pigment left by the time the seed were bleached.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I pot a thin layer of peat on top, just to get an germination surface that isn't too rocky

Yeah, I usually do the same for the same reason, but forgot to for this batch of byblis. Oh well....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just found another straggeler germinate a few days ago, though. Hoping that I can get these guys to flower and thrive!

I've found that once they get about the size they are in the photo, they're less prone to damp off and other disease. b.liniflora is tougher than stated in savage garden....i've shipped them in pots (and have gotten shipped byblis in pots) and they turn out fine. I think Jimscott even transplanted one of his adult byblis, though i'm not sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW, chloroplast, you were asking about germinating devil's claws a while back, weren't you? Did they turn out?!

--Edit: Well, what do you know! I just read where you mentioned them in another topic... I hope they germinate SOON!

Thanks, though from what I hear they can take up to a year! I scarified them and soaked them in water for 48 h prior to sowing, so hopefully that'll speed things up. But I'm a patient person when it comes to seed!

Great looking Byblis, Chloroplast! I have a couple seedlings right now that are about that same size. It's my first time growing them and I love them so far. Anyone know how long it takes them to reach flowering maturity?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Mar. 02 2006,5:00)]Great looking Byblis, Chloroplast! I have a couple seedlings right now that are about that same size. It's my first time growing them and I love them so far. Anyone know how long it takes them to reach flowering maturity?
3-4 months IME.

3-4 months IME too.
biggrin.gif
My first byblis give me a flower bud beginning this week and it is 3+ months old.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]3-4 months IME too. My first byblis give me a flower bud beginning this week and it is 3+ months old.

Yup, I've found the same too. And if they don't produce, I throw them into the cold weather to shrivel and die!!! Muaaahhhh
smile_m_32.gif

The picture link is gone
smile_h_32.gif
 and I have been searching for pics of very young byblis! I may have mixed up the labels on my germinating pots - I think I have dozens of byblis sprouts!!!

smile_n_32.gif

bump.... anyone know of other threads with pics of sprouts?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CP30 @ April 26 2006,8:37)]bump.... anyone know of other threads with pics of sprouts?
I will post a pic of my B.liniflora seedling in a little while.
dewy

Here is what my B.liniflora seedling looks like. Not the best quality pic, but it gives you a good idea.
plants_002.sized.jpg

oh god no, THE INVASION CONTINUES! Its the end of the world!

no but serriously im really regreting even planting those seeds, i LOVE the plant but when it grows to a two foot length, Flowering its head off and geting all sticky, it gets annoying. its seeds sprout everywhere,

and i thought d. capendsis was bad!
confused.gif

here is a picture, please note, that is a ten inch container the byblis is comeing out of, the center of the orange container is one foot and a half from the center of the black container. I have eight byblis sprouts in the utric container. Oh, and nine in the butterwort cutting pot. these are seperate from the rest of my collection to avoid invasion.
000_0599.jpg

000_0600.jpg

000_0258.jpg

their baby pictures!

Picture379.jpg

Back