What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae seeds

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Somewhere I asked about the pollination of D. adelae, whether they self or not and the answer came back as requiring two flowers to do so. My plant is on its 3rd flower stalk and I have made no attempt to manually pollinate anything. For the lark of it, though, I took the oldest seed pod and rubbed it between my fingers and I saw what certainly appeared to be typical Drosera seeds. Can I infer that what I am seeing are infertile seeds?

They might be fertile. I was able to germinate seeds of adelae from my single clone.

Michael, right? Well, that first pod is now sprinkled on the media. So maybe in a few weeks I'll have an answer and possible Trading Post offering.

Thanks
smile.gif

woo hoo. I have two adelaes flowering now. One is traded to someone already, but have to wait for shipping window to open up for him. If the flowers open before sending then I will do some cross polination and try for seeds myself. Good luck Jim!!!!

Hopefully the seed produced is fertile! Goo' luck!

i need to polinitate them, or they will make seeds alone?

Good luck with the seeds Jim.

ImWindPlant,
My plants made seeds when I did not pollinate them, however, I suspect that something else might have pollinated them. My plants only made seed for me once.

Michael

Not sure what could be doing any pollinating in my set up. It's just sitting at window sill in the bathroom. No bugs that I'm aware of. We'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

How long does it take for seeds pods to mature?

cheers

I haven't paid any attention to it, but go by appearance. When it's black, I know it's ripe.

The whole flower part when it shrivles up and the other parts still green? Thats black for me... hmmm im keeping an eye on it.

Cheers

That sounds like you got it!

abbb5d8a.jpg

That look about it? or does it stil have a few days to go?

Nice pic! Comparing to my own stalks, I would still wait a few days. My ripest pod has a stem that is partially black and the former flower is distended, like a very old, non-functioning VFT trap.

Yeah, it's still too green. Wait a couple more days for it to dry some more, but keep an eye on it. I have had seed pods dry quicker than I thought they would a couple times.

I've attempted to gingerly remove a P. luscitanica pod, only to have it burst all over my fingers.

ill cut a peice of paper and slide it underneath the stem just incase when I trim off the flower... Should i try putting a plastic bag over it and opening it up to polenate it?

cheers

Just Guestamating but i think they have been like this for about 25 days almost.. (TIRED OF WAITING, lol) they are the same flowers just difrent angle and lighting.

hears a picture of my flowers..
636fbe9f.jpg

Cheers

Back