What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root cutting

Hello.
I have a Drosera regia that never recovers after trade(leaves are dying, no tentacles and no more new leaves). So I'm going to do root cuttings so I can get healthy young Regis. The question is how I do it?

How long do you let your D. regia recover for after it loses its leaves? From experience, I've noticed D. regia come back from "the dead" quite often from its roots. At least the 'Big Easy' cultivar does.

Now to answer your question, cut the roots in 2" segments or there abouts and place them just under the soil surface of a small pot. Standard Drosera soil medium is fine. Keep damp, and place the pot inside a ziplock bag with some standing water inside it. Now keep the bag in a brightly lit location.

Hope this works for you.

Homer

Thanks for the advice. I'd let my drosera recover for a couple months and I'm going to do cutting tomorrow, just a little piece.

Just bear in mind many regias go dormant at this time of the year anyway, some will die back to the roots. take a root cutting by all means, but try to disturb the main plant as little as possible and it should recover in a few weeks.

Back