What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parasites..

Hi all,
I grow about 6 Droseras in a 10gal tank with the tray method, 3 pots per tray. And in the tray, on top of the water I can see these little white and some black things floating around. They're probably the size of Drosera seeds. They seem like some parasites or soemthing
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. I washed out the tray yesterday and I found some more this morning. I applied some Ortho on the 'dews in the soil. But the wierd thing is I haven't seen any damage to the plants and still thriving. Does anyone know what this thingy is? What should I do besides repotting? Thanks

You could have springtails. they are harmless living in the peat and don't eat or damage living plants at all. They are not considered to be insects so insecticides don't work to get rid of them. You will find that even if you repot they will be back. I battled with them for years then gave up, we now live peacably together, so long as they do no harm I can tolerate them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the wierd thing is I haven't seen any damage to the plants and still thriving.

If it aint broke, it aint got enough features. Wait wait- if it aint broke, don't fix it. Right, that's the one!

If there's no damage, then these little guys are gonna be food for your plants, and possibly eat decaying matter (which is a happy thing.) I've had bugs come and go with no ill effect. However, if they show signs of hostility- show no mercy.
laugh.gif

smile.gif
Thanks guys, I gotta say thats a relief.
smile.gif

Could also be fungus gnats that fall into the trays and then wiggle around. But they are also harmless.

-Ben

Back