What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

http://www.petiolariscomplex.comPetiolaris Complex

Hi,
 I obtained Allen Lowrie's care sheet for these plants, and it had some interesting things.
 He recommends for D. kennealyii and D. falconeri 50:50 peat/ sand(no shock there) and for the others, he recommends 60:40 peat/perlite. He also state sphagnum moss will not work. I have had mine in 60:40 perlite/milled sphagnum for a year. Ths was actually recommended by Sean Samia ("Petiolaris Sean" to those of you who know him). Here's his six-year old site with some excellent photos:

http://www.petiolariscomplex.com/

I have seen several photos of other growers who use sphagnum in their mixes(I am trying hard to not say "soil" in case Pinguicula Man happens by, lol).
 I am also sure that some might use a higher sand percentage also.
 So what do you folks use?

Cheers,

Joe

Hello there,

I purchased some seeds from a nursery in the UK a year ago, and the seller recommended a 60:40 peat - perlite mixture to germinate seeds. I used that mixture, with good results my 1st time out trying to germinate this particular group of Drosera.

I use equal parts silica sand and peatmoss with some LFS thrown in for good measure of my Drosera nowadays. Seems to work well.

-Homer

Hi Homer,
My generic Drosera and VFT mix is something like that also.
The silica in these parts is as fine as sugar and mixed 50/50 with peat makes kind of a compact soil, so I go 1:1:1 with milled sphagnum as the third component.
So did the seeds germinate just sowing and keeping moist, or did you have to heat stratify or anything like that?

Cheers,

Joe

I'm definitely not in a place to question either Allen's or Sean's recommendations
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. Allen has probably seen more of these plants in the wild than anybody else and Sean has had incredible success growing and flowering this group.

While I've experimented with several mixes including various amounts of peat, LFS, sand & perlite - other environmental conditions seem to be more important than the media mix (lighting humidity, temps, etc.).

Based on that, I've defaulted to the simple 50:50 peat:sand mix.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have had mine in 60:40 perlite/milled sphagnum for a year. Ths was actually recommended by Sean Samia ("Petiolaris Sean" to those of you who know him). Here's his six-year old site with some excellent photos:
FYI - Sean's media recommendations 'evolve' over time...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So did the seeds germinate just sowing and keeping moist, or did you have to heat stratify or anything like that?

I didn't have to heat stratify, but I did keep the seeds/seedlings HOT by keeping them in a covered tray with no ventilation. A heatpad kept the whole system very warm.

-Homer

His ideas evolve, eh?
Actually, I neglected to mention he actually recommended 70:30 perlite /peat, but I was too chicken to go that high, lol.

Thanks,

Joe

Back