What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. sessilifolia - Is it a age thing?

Here's my burmannii:

AF002301.jpg

And here was my sessilifolia:

AF000201.jpg

The truth is, it's REALLY hard to tell these two species apart -- especially now that hybrids between these have become common in cultivation.

Here are a few basic guidelines which may help:

D.burmannii -- leaves yellow-green, more triangular, flowers white, flower scape often with a curve at the base.

D.sessilifolia -- leaves orangish-yellow, more rounded, flowers pink, flower scape erect.

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Mar. 21 2006,10:46)]dewy, how do you tell? Seriously, I am going to have hundreds, perhaps thousands of seeds soon and I need to confirm the identity of this fellow...  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Here is the difference. The D.sessifolia is on the right side while the D.burmannii is on the left side.
dscf21151yx.jpg

Here is another pic of D.sessifolia. As you can see, it is very red when grown in good light while D.burmannii stays a yellow green.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews/sessilifolia

Here is how I can tell.  D. sessilifolia has wider and more parallel petioles, round laminas, and is glandular on the petiole and on the back of the leaves.

Hmm..seems that the plants are likely to be D. burmanni or even a hybrid!

Btw, I found this thread.

I would like to help you Cindy but that was my post you referred to and I still am not sure what mine is.  It never gets much bigger than a quarter.  The scape is erect and the flower is just ever so slightly pink.  Compare its flower and a beerwah at the bottom.
What do you think dewy?...Fernando???
This one is flowering but until then there is absolutely no green or yellow on them, just shiny ruby red...much redder than this photo.
burmanni_red.jpg

This is the flower of the plant above.  
burmanni_red_flower.sized.jpg

This is a beerwah
Burmanni_flower_33.sized.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ Mar. 23 2006,3:44)]D.burmannii -- leaves yellow-green, more triangular, flowers white, flower scape often with a curve at the base.

D.sessilifolia -- leaves orangish-yellow, more rounded, flowers pink, flower scape erect.

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia
Fernando, what do you mean by a curve at the base?

Is the following flower scape curve?
sessilifoliaflowerslq.jpg

Here's a flower..they are all like this. I have not have chance to see a fully open one. I thought the plant was D. sessilifolia because the flower is pink.
sessifoliaflowerlq.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Mar. 24 2006,10:16)]I would like to help you Cindy but that was my post you referred to and I still am not sure what mine is.  It never gets much bigger than a quarter.  The scape is erect and the flower is just ever so slightly pink.  Compare its flower and a beerwah at the bottom.
What do you think dewy?...Fernando???
This one is flowering but until then there is absolutely no green or yellow on them, just shiny ruby red...much redder than this photo.
burmanni_red.jpg

This is the flower of the plant above.  
burmanni_red_flower.sized.jpg

This is a beerwah
Burmanni_flower_33.sized.jpg
Lauderdale, your plant looks like a D.sessilifolia to me. The only thing that confuses me is the flower. If the flower is a light pink like that, then you probably have a hybrid bet D.sessilifolia and D.burmannii.

Cindy, what Fernando means is that the flower will curve outward from the base of the plant. Go to the bottom photo in this link to see what I am talking about.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/D_burmannii.html

Hello everyone,

I've got an idea! I know how we could solve this taxonomical problem once and for all. How about we throw away ALL the D.burmannii & D.sessilifolia presently in cultivation and start from scratch with seeds from KNOW locations (Australia & Brazil respectively)! ;)

Good luck!
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. We'd also have to somehow be able to keep the 2 species from hybridizing in cultivation....

smile_k_ani_32.gif
But my once-D.sessilifolia-now-suspected-D.burmanni grows like a weed! Come on, in Singapore we have already lost D. capensis as the king of sundew weeds..can't we keep this?
smile_n_32.gif

Back