Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D. Adelae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a D. Adelae last Thursday in the mail and let me tell you it looked horrible. I have some questions about this plant. I've been reading around and trying to find some cool other plants then the various types of Venus Flytraps and this was one that I found. I'm pretty sure this plant does not go into dormancy. Am I right about this? I'm wondering because when I took it out of the bag it came in it was all shriveled up, dry, pretty bad looking. It was shipped out on Monday or Tuesday and I got it on Thursday. Would it get that bad in only three to four days? I planted it in a four inch plastic pot in a mixture of peat moss and sand with some sphagnum moss on top and put it by the window. I've seen no improvements to it or any of the other plants since then. The temps are usually around 78 F by the window but I checked what the highest was and it said 100F!! How can it get that hot by the window? It's only that hot when the sun first comes up because it's a East window. I don't know if that's too hot or if it's OK for this type of plant but I have some others right there with it. Is there anything I could do to help fix the problem with this plant or do I need to let it heal by it's self? I could get pics but I don't know how to post them on this wed site so when I find out I will post them.

So to sum it up. Do they need a dorment time? What's the right temp and if it matters humidity. Will it fix it's self? What could I do? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello murphy.
    d. adelae do not have a dormancy period.
    the temperature you have probly will do fine, 78. but your main concern is humidity, put it in a terrarium unless your environment reaches areound 80% humidity.
    yes it shoud heal if you give it the correct conditions.
    make sher you use distilled water. a google search on growing adelae would help alot as well::

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is normal for shipped plants to look like death warmed over - at least most of the time. The heat at your window is the result of a mini-greenhouse effect. As said above, D. adelae doesn't require a dormancy.

What I do with plants that are in shock is to keep them away from the light initially and saturate the media, as well as cover it. I do that for a couple days and then open by day and close at night for another couple days, moving it closer to the light. After that, it's open 24/7 and right at the light. It can take as little as a few days to a few weeks for a plant to recover, depending upon the plant and how badly it is shocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, Adelae is a trooper. It'll pull through. Your conditions are fine. I had mine outside in 10% humidity/110 degrees and it's still alive and sending up pups by the dozen. I'm not saying those are the perfect conditions by any means. I'm just letting you know how adaptive they are.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 20 2006,2:58)]Don't worry, Adelae is a trooper. It'll pull through. Your conditions are fine. I had mine outside in 10% humidity/110 degrees and it's still alive and sending up pups by the dozen. I'm not saying those are the perfect conditions by any means. I'm just letting you know how adaptive they are.
    wow
    i didnt think they adapt that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could put it in a plastic critter keeper thing I have. That should raise the humidity. Should I keep it in the full sun or part sun? What if I cut the leaves off, will it grow new leaves that are not stressed out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would stress it out more. just clip off any dead ones.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ Mar. 20 2006,5:40)]I could put it in a plastic critter keeper thing I have. That should raise the humidity. Should I keep it in the full sun or part sun? What if I cut the leaves off, will it grow new leaves that are not stressed out?
    I would not do that. Let it recover in the conditions you plan to grow it in. That will make a better, stronger plant.

As far as sun goes, give it as much as possable. After it has started to grow new leaves, if they are green, add more light. Try to keep them tinted red.
    My life sucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast