What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. petiolaris and D. paradoxa

Cindy

Staff member
Hi, does anyone have got a pic of each to show the difference? Does D. paradoxa have thinner petioles?
confused.gif

I looked at Savage Garden and there wasn't a clear distinction, but here's a pic of D. paradoxa:

AR000102.jpg

Mr. D'Amato says they are similar but paradoxa has hairier leaves. I get the impression that petiolaris is the originally named species and paradoxa & dilatato may have sprung from petiolarsi - but that's peculation on my part. Maybe Ron Lane or Langy can shed some light.

As Jim's photo shows, the paradoxa petiols are very narrow and taper gradually into the leaf and the petiols are hairy. The petiols on petiolaris are thicker with a pronounced constriction before meeting the leaf and they are generally hairless.

Perhaps this link to a photo by Vic Brown might help a bit -- perhaps not.
http://www.cpuk.org/~vicbrown/images/Drosera/petioles.jpg
Left to right: Drosera petiolaris 'Howard River, N.T.', Drosera paradoxa very red plants, Drosera paradoxa '100km N. Drysdale River Station, Kimberley', Drosera paradoxa Carniflora clone, Drosera lanata.

Okie dokie. From Bobz's reference, I can see that paradoxa's petioles are indeed thinner and tapered like what pyro mentioned.

Thank you all!
smile_r_32.gif

We'll see whether Seandew jumps in with some good info...

While D. paradoxa always has thin petioles, there is debate about petiole width between D. petiolaris and D. dilatato-petiolaris.

D. paradoxa typically (always?) has a stem-forming growth habit while D. petiolaris has basal growth. The internodal distances on D. paradoxa seems to be variable depending on the plant. Some take a while to exhibit their 'stem', while others seem to leap up like minature palm trees.

I must admit that I've been wondering about this one for a while now. The D petiolaris in my copy of Lowrie's CPs of Australia 3 looks very much like my Drosera paradoxa, and not really like my newly acquired D petiolaris.

Cheers,

Greg

Doesn't Lowrie's volume 3 describe all 3 of these species? If so, all you have to do is read the descriptions!
smile.gif
:)

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. If that doesn't help, Allen published an article around 10 years ago detailing the differences between the petiolaris species known to him back then. I think D.paradoxa was not in this paper, but in a separate one a few years later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fernando Rivadavia @ April 03 2006,5:50)]Doesn't Lowrie's volume 3 describe all 3 of these species? If so, all you have to do is read the descriptions!
smile.gif
:)
Hi Fernando,
Allen didn't describe D. paradoxa until after vol 3 (along w/ D. brevicornis, D. caduca & others...). He mentions this in the preface in vol 3.

In the body of the book, he does distinguish between D. fulva & D. dilatato-petiolaris "to which it is closely related" but not directly with D. petiolaris.

I just ordered his research papers on CD and CD photo albums - all on "special". I hope it includes this info (not that I'll be able to fully grasp it all anyway ...
confused.gif
)

Back