What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis filifolia and rorida in flower

Some seed grown Byblis:

Byblis rorida (Taylor's Lagoon) in flower. Apparently this is the only Byblis species whose petals are not identical- the lower two petals in the picure are larger than the other three. I've read somewhere that this is evidence that Pinguicula and Byblis are closely related genera.
roridafilifolia037-copy.jpg

Another view of the flower to show its size. It's huge considering the straggly nature of the plant itself. Far, far bigger than B liniflora flowers. The species has proved so far to be at least as easy to grow (with the help of a little GA3).
roridafilifolia033-copy.jpg

Byblis filifolia (Boulk Area South of Lombadina on Dampier Penninsular) in flower. This fascinating species has flowers with petals that are cream on the outsides. The flowers close tightly (far more tightly than other Byblis species) at night and open widely in the day. When closed, they look like cream flowers. Interestingly, a B filifolia that I got from the EEEC in Reading a few years ago had flowers that were a little larger and wholly purple. Also, the plant was far less sticky. The flowers still closed at night, however. This speies also has several flowers open at one time. The plant itself is far more robust than B liniflora, and very sticky- like one may imagine a hybrid between B gigantea and B liniflora to look like.
roridafilifolia035-copy.jpg

Another shot of the same flower.
roridafilifolia025-copy.jpg

As I have at least two flowering specimens of each of these species, I should hopefully have some seed to distribute. These beautiful species really ought to be more commonly grown.

Stunning pics, Greg! Between you and Langy and Ron Lane....

Its great to see photos of different species of Byblis.  That filifolia flower is beautiful.  You are lucky to have such rare plants.  I see some companion 'dews in the pots as well.

Thanks for sharing such a rare sight.  
smile.gif

Back