Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. peltata

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember if they came from you or Donavan Perrett or Christerb. This would have been in 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a D. peltata without any shadow of doubt. It appears that is is most likely the form from WA as this form produces more leaves in its basal rosette and often doesn't climb in its first year. It also produces the orangey shade that your plants exhibit and has the same shaped lamina and petiole.

D. peltata var. foliosa is a very different form of peltata that is much more robust, has fewer leaves in its basal rosette and is a lime green colour.

In the past I have found that seed I have sown under lights has not produced an upright growth the first season., whereas those gorwn outside almost always do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel better for elgecko!! I was worried there for a while! Thank you, Seandew!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Seandew.

Now all I need is for it to climb for me. One of the reasons I wanted to grow this plant.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think it should be showing some sort of stem growth by now. I know Sean is an expert on Aussie cps but ive still my doubts .

anyhow time will tell - when it forms a stem post a pic - will be interesting .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll form a stem. I've had plenty that have grown in a similar fashion.

D. peltata is an extremely diverse and variable species. I suspect we shall find out just how diverse when Robert Gibson eventually publishes the results of his research into the group.

The plants that you have seen growing in the Sydney region Belinda are quite different to those that you find in my part of Australia. My point is that there are dozens of different forms of D. peltata and each can show considerable variation to the next. Some forms readily produce an erect stem whereas others can take a considerable time.

Somebody growing one of the var. foliosa forms may look at the photo and think that they look nothing like what they grow as D. peltata and therefore assume it is something other than D. peltata. This is reasonable as D. peltata var. foliosa is very different to most other forms, particularly when in the rosetted or seedling stage.

I've seen enough of these forms over the years to say with 100% confidence that the plants shown are a form of D.peltata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point taken Sean
    Any idea when Robert will be finishing his study - hopefully more variations will get proper recognition.
    regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good question.

I've heard that it is all but finished. Robert is known for his perfectionism so he will be reluctant to publish anything until he is completely comfortable with it. I am sure that when the results finally are published there will be a few surprises. Anybody who has not had the opportunity to see these plants growing in their natural habitats couldn't possibly appreciate just how much variation there is in the group.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast