What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. peltata

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Here's a picture of my D. peltata that is in it's second growth cycle and still not climbing for me.

Dpeltata.jpg

Nice looking D. peltata Elgecko. I gave up on my D. peltata seedlings a while back because they just refused to grow.

I hope yours begins climbing for you soon!

Planted d. peltata ssp. foliosa from Albion Bog in Fort Bragg, Calif. Seed that is. Strikes appeared in late January. They are climbing already, and looking every bit the peltata form it was meant to be. If you haven't climbed already, you may not have peltata. It doesn't look quite right to me, but they are variable somewhat when young. Still, it doesn't look right to me. Keep us posted if it does climb.

Seems  strange to me
they grow as a weed in my collections springing up all over the joint.If its not forming a stem  after a reasonably amount of time definately not  a peltata .Maybe if its a product of Albion bog it could be different - as i dont have a native american peltata to comparte against my local peltata.

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1179.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF1181.jpg

DSCF1151.jpg

Nice pics, Steve & Belinda! I had some plants from seeds and they did climb. But last summer they disapeared, never to be found again. I know they're supposed to go dormant, but mine just died. Here's a less than wonderful picture of one of them climbing:

D_peltata.sized.jpg

A case in point. The basal rosette of leaves on elgecko's plant is too full. The basal rosette on the peltate's I have had, and have seen are few leaves in number. Maybe 8, maybe 6 leaves (give or take 1 more!) are about all they give up as a basal rosette. I do have one that has 11 leaves, but it seems to be the great exception, not the rule here. The rosette I am looking at in elgeckos pic, is very full. Way more than 11 leaves, and should have "climbed" the first year. Every peltate form I have had from d. auriculata, d. peltata ssp. peltata, or d. peltata ssp. foliosa, have all sent up a central growing point with the shield shaped leaves during the first growing cycle. Check your plant's ID in the ID this Plant Thread and see what you come up with. It just doesn't look right to me. But, too, I have been wrong before, and for elgecko's sake, I hope I am wrong again!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe if its a product of Albion bog it could be different - as i dont have a native american peltata to comparte against my local peltata.
Calling a D. peltata from Albion Bog Native is a bit of a stretch...
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Introduced alien maybe...
smile_l_32.gif

Thanks for the great in-habitat pics Belinda!!

I got the seeds from the ICPS.
I thought some one told me before that D. peltata does not always climb.

Scott,
I'm pretty sure that I gave you D. peltata seeds on one of your visites after I had some germinate in my pot. The one's your growing and have starting to climb, is that from the seeds I gave you?

I can't remember if they came from you or Donavan Perrett or Christerb. This would have been in 2004.

That is a D. peltata without any shadow of doubt. It appears that is is most likely the form from WA as this form produces more leaves in its basal rosette and often doesn't climb in its first year. It also produces the orangey shade that your plants exhibit and has the same shaped lamina and petiole.

D. peltata var. foliosa is a very different form of peltata that is much more robust, has fewer leaves in its basal rosette and is a lime green colour.

In the past I have found that seed I have sown under lights has not produced an upright growth the first season., whereas those gorwn outside almost always do.

I feel better for elgecko!! I was worried there for a while! Thank you, Seandew!!!!!

Thanks for the info Seandew.

Now all I need is for it to climb for me. One of the reasons I wanted to grow this plant.

I still think it should be showing some sort of stem growth by now. I know Sean is an expert on Aussie cps but ive still my doubts .

anyhow time will tell - when it forms a stem post a pic - will be interesting .

It'll form a stem. I've had plenty that have grown in a similar fashion.

D. peltata is an extremely diverse and variable species. I suspect we shall find out just how diverse when Robert Gibson eventually publishes the results of his research into the group.

The plants that you have seen growing in the Sydney region Belinda are quite different to those that you find in my part of Australia. My point is that there are dozens of different forms of D. peltata and each can show considerable variation to the next. Some forms readily produce an erect stem whereas others can take a considerable time.

Somebody growing one of the var. foliosa forms may look at the photo and think that they look nothing like what they grow as D. peltata and therefore assume it is something other than D. peltata. This is reasonable as D. peltata var. foliosa is very different to most other forms, particularly when in the rosetted or seedling stage.

I've seen enough of these forms over the years to say with 100% confidence that the plants shown are a form of D.peltata.

Point taken Sean
Any idea when Robert will be finishing his study - hopefully more variations will get proper recognition.
regards

Very good question.

I've heard that it is all but finished. Robert is known for his perfectionism so he will be reluctant to publish anything until he is completely comfortable with it. I am sure that when the results finally are published there will be a few surprises. Anybody who has not had the opportunity to see these plants growing in their natural habitats couldn't possibly appreciate just how much variation there is in the group.

Well here is the latest pic of one of the plants. I guess this tells it all.

Dpeltata.jpg

Good to see it finally got there! A flower pic will help determine whether it is the WA form or not. Aa an aside, there is conjecture over whether the WA form is actually D. peltata at all. There may be a name change some time in the future.

It looks like I should have open flowers in a two to three weeks. I'll be sure to post another pic when they open.

Back