Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D. peltata

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of my D. peltata that is in it's second growth cycle and still not climbing for me.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking D. peltata Elgecko. I gave up on my D. peltata seedlings a while back because they just refused to grow.

I hope yours begins climbing for you soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Planted d. peltata ssp. foliosa from Albion Bog in Fort Bragg, Calif. Seed that is. Strikes appeared in late January. They are climbing already, and looking every bit the peltata form it was meant to be. If you haven't climbed already, you may not have peltata. It doesn't look quite right to me, but they are variable somewhat when young. Still, it doesn't look right to me. Keep us posted if it does climb.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems strange to me
    they grow as a weed in my collections springing up all over the joint.If its not forming a stem after a reasonably amount of time definately not a peltata .Maybe if its a product of Albion bog it could be different - as i dont have a native american peltata to comparte against my local peltata.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, Steve & Belinda! I had some plants from seeds and they did climb. But last summer they disapeared, never to be found again. I know they're supposed to go dormant, but mine just died. Here's a less than wonderful picture of one of them climbing:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A case in point. The basal rosette of leaves on elgecko's plant is too full. The basal rosette on the peltate's I have had, and have seen are few leaves in number. Maybe 8, maybe 6 leaves (give or take 1 more!) are about all they give up as a basal rosette. I do have one that has 11 leaves, but it seems to be the great exception, not the rule here. The rosette I am looking at in elgeckos pic, is very full. Way more than 11 leaves, and should have "climbed" the first year. Every peltate form I have had from d. auriculata, d. peltata ssp. peltata, or d. peltata ssp. foliosa, have all sent up a central growing point with the shield shaped leaves during the first growing cycle. Check your plant's ID in the ID this Plant Thread and see what you come up with. It just doesn't look right to me. But, too, I have been wrong before, and for elgecko's sake, I hope I am wrong again!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe if its a product of Albion bog it could be different - as i dont have a native american peltata to comparte against my local peltata.
    Calling a D. peltata from Albion Bog Native is a bit of a stretch... Introduced alien maybe...

Thanks for the great in-habitat pics Belinda!!
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the seeds from the ICPS.
    I thought some one told me before that D. peltata does not always climb.

Scott,
    I'm pretty sure that I gave you D. peltata seeds on one of your visites after I had some germinate in my pot. The one's your growing and have starting to climb, is that from the seeds I gave you?

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast