What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. auriculata and peltata seeds

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
I have some peltata and auriculata seed from NZ and AU. I am trying to germinate SOME right now. I sowed on 2/12 on damp milled LFS with covers for humidity. They are receiving 12 hours of light and the temps have ranged from 55F to 90F (as it is getting hot here and the lights do not help!) I have seen no sight of sprouts.

Did I do something wrong? (i.e. medium, light, temp, time of year)
What should I try with the remaining seed?

Help me please.

I put my seeds down almost 7 months ago. They sprouted 2 months ago. Stay patient.

It is a virtue, eh?

My patience has started to pay off, I now have about 20 peltata sprouts. They showed on 4/5 - almost 2 months!
Still no sign of either auriculata......

My new questions: I sowed them on shredded LFS about 1/4" deep, how long should I leave them in their little germination cup before I transplant?

It will soon be consistently in the mid-high 80's here, should I try to avoid this summer's dormancy and bring them into the AC since I germinated them so late?

Definitely avoid the heat. They will not grow well(if at all) in hot conditions.

Thanks Seandew!

But, what is too hot?
I thought I would have temperature problems with germinating when the temps in my grow rack started hitting 85F consistently every day with nights only down to the mid 70's. These sprouted on a day in the 90's! I can move them to the AC, but the light is not as intense.

Back