What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis leaf cutting pic

Hello all,

I tried using the leaf cutting method on my D. capensis and now finally have something to show for it. I took the cuttings around Christmas. Here's a pic from today with a dime for size reference:

img_0010_1.jpg

For anyone thinking of trying the leaf cutting method, go for it! It's very easy to do and a lot of fun.

Derrick

Well congratulations on your success!
smile.gif
How did you initiate the process? I might try that with the all red cultivar that I just received.

I took a small Tupperware container and filled it an inch deep with a sphagnum peat/perlite mix. I then cut off the youngest fully-developed leaves at the petioles (basically cutting it where the tentacles stopped), placed them face-up in the soil, and put a pinch of soil at each end of the leaf to hold them down tight. I wrapped the top of the container with clear plastic wrap, kept the soil wet, and placed it near an east-facing window.

I think the plastic wrap was an important step. I left the container unwrapped for the first two months and the leaves didn't do anything. Once I put the wrap on, the plantlets immediately popped up. It may have just been a coincidence, however.

Good luck!

That's essentially the same approach I took with D. binata and D.filiformis, as well as VFT's.

I tried capensis leaf cuttings about 5 years ago. I was told to keep as much of the bottom of the leaf touching the surface as you can by partially burying them (but still be able to see the surface of the leaf). I got 18 plantlets from just two leaves.

Back