What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmanni 'red'

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I've got several plants from a dear friend recently but transplanted one into LFS/perlite, instead of the peat/sand mix.

Guess what...it turned green from its original golden and red!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Is it a red form or is it just the peat? Or both?

It's a sessilifolia!
smile_m_32.gif
Seriously, could it just need more light?

Yeah, I'm with Jimscott. Don't red forms need a load of light to stay red otherwise they'll turn green?

-Ben

I'd have to say it's light as well. Try upping the wattage/exposure!

I have the green form and red tentacle form growing all over my green house
confused.gif
And they all stay true to their color no matter what they are growing in.... I even just found some in a bucket of nasty water growing... Floating on the crap on top the water... AMAZING!

I don't know about D.burmannii in Australia, but with D.sessilifolia at several sites in central Venezuela I saw maroon, red, orange and yellow plants grow side-by-side!! I'd only ever seen this before with P.moranensis in Mexico, very strange!

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

Not the light, boys.
smile_m_32.gif
The red (in peat) and green (in LFS) are both under the same lights, next to each other.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ April 04 2006,7:24)]Not the light, boys.
smile_m_32.gif
 The red (in peat) and green (in LFS) are both under the same lights, next to each other.
I have found out that in a peaty mixture D.sessifolia will turn a deep red while in lfs it will turn green. I am not sure what exactly causes this, though.
dewy

Yeah, come to think of it, I remember reading somewhere that planting some types of Drosera into peat make them redder than in other soil mixtures.

EDIT: Ah, here it is:

Drosera dielsiana isn't very picky about soil. It grows well in pure sphagnum moss as well as the standard 1:1 peat:sand "CP mix". It will tend to be redder in peat and under brighter light. -from the ICPS webpage. Despite the fact that they're talking about D. dielsiana, I think they have it written in some other Drosera profiles.

-Ben

Back