What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis turning yellow

Cindy

Staff member
Although no Singaporean has successful managed to keep D. capensis alive
smile_n_32.gif
, I received some recently only to find the growing tips turning yellow within a week.

Why are the plants doing that? Btw, they are fresh from tissue-culture. Could it be the sudden drop in humidity or the sudden increase in light?

I don't know for sure, but intuitively, as you've observed, the significant change in conditions, doesn't put a positive spin on things.

Mu first capensis, I put into shock by taking it from a 21 C bedroom to a -9 C car to a 21 C lab. Within hours, nearly every leaf withered and I thought the plant was dead. So I satuarted the soil and covered it up, as well as moved it away from the light for a couple days. Then I opened up during the day and covered by night, while moving it closer to the light. By the end of the week I had it open tray and at the window sill. By that time I observed one, tiny, new leaf. 6 months later, that plant sending up a flower. This is the plant I nearly killed:

Drosera_capensis.jpg

Maybe the light levels increased but not enough to turn it all the way red?

Back