Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capensis going down hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this pot of D. Carpensis which is not doing well here in singapore. It's been under a transparent cup with 2 holes drilled to allow ventilation and to keep humidity higher. it's sitting in a bright spot without direct sun. I tray water with distilled water when the medium feels slighly dry.

Then

Now

my day temp ranges from 28degrees C to 32degrees C, with RH around 80%-90%
    My night temp goes between 25degrees C to 27degrees C. RH should be around the same. never really measured.

What am i doing wrong here? Is there anyway to salvage this poor plant or it's already doomed for??

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lobsterx and welcome to TerraForums! did you say Singapore? Oy vey! Better check this topic out, from the Singaporean Moderator, cindy:

Capensis turning yellow

We're all stumped!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humidity is way too high! You don't need that cup at all. Check out where D. capensis hails from - the Cape region of South Africa. Not a particularly humid place... actually a pretty windy place if I remember my geography. D. capensis just needs a tray of water and lots of light. There may be time left to save yours; get it into drier conditions. Mine are perfectly happy with household conditions of 10-40% RH. I understand from that thread Jim mentioned that capensis isn't such an easy one in Singapore, though, so you may have more challenges ahead! What a mystery... Best luck!
    ~Joe

PS - Welcome! You've come to the right place for CP advice. Er, at the very least, we're enthusiastic, if not knowledgeable.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shall remove the cup immdiately.

Cindy did warn me about this particular plant that was suppose to thrive here in singapore, but alast, this plant is WEIRD...:O

Seedjar: Thanks! will tray water from now on.::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the remainding plants in the pot died a few days after i removed the cup. they must have melted.... only one survived and it's puting out more leaves, but they are small.

I need more advice from the gurus here.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give it a month or two before throwing in the towel. You should get new plants from the roots of the dead ones in that time. The survivor will likely be low on energy for a while as it recovers. Just leave it be, keep it watered, and if it begins to flower, pinch off the flowers before they open; exhausted sundews sometimes will flower under extreme stress as a last-ditch attempt to reproduce. At the very worst, you might have to get a new capensis - but trust me, they aren't hard to come by, especially on this forum.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am convinced capensis is invincible. Give it a few days; I've noticed mine tend to wax and wane from time to time (it doesn't help that it picked up a case of recurring aphids from my mother's hibiscus)
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LobsterX, welcome to the club. Only those living in Singapore will equalify. Members are all convinced that the weather here is the bane of capensis' existence! We have even tried growing them from seeds to get 'Singapore-resistant' forms - failed.

Anyway, D. capensis does regenerate from roots for us. But the new plants die soon after and if we manage to salvage a bit of root, we can get new plants again. But the new new plants will die too and soon we are left with no roots to regenerate the plant from.
    Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast