What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Leaves

Right Now I am growing a drosera and it is bright red and doing good! Lately though I have noticed some green leaves w/o dew and do not turn red! Is something else sprouting there or is it just normal? Can Someone answer that question for me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Helldragon4356 @ April 23 2006,3:45)]Right Now I am growing a drosera and it is bright red and doing good! Lately though I have noticed some green leaves w/o dew and do not turn red! Is something else sprouting there or is it just normal? Can Someone answer that question for me!
Sounds like it is not getting enough light. What particular sundew is it?

To me it doesn't look like a sundew whatsoever it doesnt even have the hairlike things for dew! Just yesterday though i repotted all of my plants and noticed that it seems to have seperate roots, they are just flat green leaves that grow out of the ground! Maybe another type of carniverous plant?

I had some crabgrass come up outta nowhere in a pot of Utrics, so the possibility that it is something altogether different from a carnivore is impossible to rule out...

if it's nothing but tiny, thread-like "leaves" that do not resemble the sundew you're growing in ANY way, and these leaves are connected underground by a network of stringy "roots", it could be a Utric,too

You may be right! Now that you mention it, it does kinda look like grass. But Ill keep an eye on it

it might be a type of sedge, have them in my D. capensis. still trying to figure out where they came from though... oh yeah, heres one of them in a sperate pot, next to the capensis

YUP!! THATS IT! I dont kno where mine came either! Mine was growing with at Spatulata. I mean ive had my splatulata for almost a year and a half and not untill now did that plant start growing. Also where do you live to be able to grow ur plants healthily outside? I live in southern california. I grow mine in a terrarium too hot to grow outdoors and too hot to grow on a windowsill. Believe me Ive tried!

Hey thanks, I live over in michigan, near Detroit. Originaly i recieved it with my Sarracenia leucophylla last year from california carnivores, i let it bloom once, but cut it off before it went to seed. But for some reason I still have them coming up in my sarracenia, and drosera pots. All my plants but my sarracenia have been inside all winter. Thankfully it gets like six hours of sunlight. Im in zone six though so alot of my new plants can be outdoors year round, like sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea, drosera rotundifolia, D. intermedia, my temperate pings.  The other ones that werent inside were in the heated garage, kept at around 40 all winter. I really should load the rest of my pictures soon, i only have like 50 megabytes worth so far this year

The funny thing about those leaves tho are that only some of the leaves look like grass others are more oval but too big to be a utricalaria. hmm...

hmmm could be bog cranberry maybe?? a LOT of stuff comes up in my outdoor pots, I've even had maple trees get hold in my Sarr pots sometimes, ya never know what might get in there if you put tham outside.....

But that crabgrass came up in a pot that had never even been outside, so I chalk that up to something either airborne, borne by me on my clothes, or heck maybe it was in the medium since I re-use stuff when I repot, after cleaning the stuff off outside for a month or two, but if it's clearly NOT what you want to grow in there, don't be afraid to pull it out, tho be careful as if it's got really entwined roots it might damage yer CP in the process

Definitely not bog cranberry, my vote goes for a sedge of some type: sedges produce a lot of root and would probably best be removed.

Back