Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soil mixture for capes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% peat for mine.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ April 26 2006,6:35)]I personally use a 50:50 peaterlite mix for my cape sundew. I have had my one plant have as many as 3 flower stalks at the same time.
    dewy
    Whats your secret to only getting 3? Lol last year I had at least 5 stalks at one time, and every single one of them was split into 2 or 3 actual flower pod stalks. I collected enough seed from that one plant to send at least 1000 seeds to every single person I traded with last year (weather they wanted them or not hahaha)

50/50 sand/peat is what I use, but I have volunteers in every pot within shouting distance of that plant, no matter what the soil is.

"Why can't you use tap water? Or the water from the filter, it's clean too!"
    Just because the filter water tastes better to us, does not mean its "clean". Sorta like just wiping the dinner dishes with a dry paper towel... it may make them look clean, but would you wanna eat off them the next time? Reverse osmosis water is available from vending machines at most shopping centers. Generally it costs about a quarter-35 cents a gallon. Personally I would stay away from the "distilled" water from inside the store.. the R/O water is just as good for 1/2 the cost.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ April 26 2006,10:46)]Whats your secret to only getting 3? Lol last year I had at least 5 stalks at one time, and every single one of them was split into 2 or 3 actual flower pod stalks. I collected enough seed from that one plant to send at least 1000 seeds to every single person I traded with last year (weather they wanted them or not hahaha)
    My secret? I cut the others flower stalks off so I wouldn't have so many seedlings everywhere
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mines never flower , maybe they still small....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you had it, or them? Maybe you don't have the right conditions for them...enough lighting? Distilled or RO water?
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say water from the filter, is that referring to RO water (Reverse Osmosis)? Rain, RO, distilled are acceptable. See what I mean about asking a few simple questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a water filter hooked onto our tap water...I did an experiment about a year ago and boiled a pot full of water down until there wasn't any left (my mom got really mad--a waste of gas!) and there was tons of crap left at the bottom of the pan. It didn't deter me from still drinking the water, but I definately will not be using it for CPs.

Edit: Is playground sand okay, or horribly off-limits? I read about it on a caresheet somewhere...
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use play sand, works like a charm. Ya just have to wash it off well enough.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast