What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.aliciae

Today I noticed a flower stalk forming on my D.aliciae. I have 2 questions, though.
1. I have heard that the flower stalks on D.aliciae can kill the plant. Is this true?
2. Does it self-pollinate?
Thanks,
dewy

1. No
2. Yes

Coincidently, my clump of them, after 2 years of cultivation, is finally sending up its frist stalk.

Flowering does set this species back.  I found that resting the plants after flowering was a good plan.  I reduced the watering by removing it from the water tray and then aimed at keeping the sphag top dressing just moist for a month or so, returning it to the water tray when active growth was again noted. The old leaves wither but the center stays good, and eventually begins cranking out new leaves.  I have lost plants of D. aliciae, D. venusta/coccicaulis, D. slackii by keeping them overwet after flowering.  Feed the traps regularly now while they are still active, it takes a lot to put up that thick stalk! D. aliciae does not flower as regularly as many other Drosera species, and I would love to see some photos of the flowering scape, esp. of the buds just before opening. Congratulations on your mutual successes!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 05 2006,7:56)]Flowering does set this species back.  I found that resting the plants after flowering was a good plan.  I reduced the watering by removing it from the water tray and then aimed at keeping the sphag top dressing just moist for a month or so, returning it to the water tray when active growth was again noted.  The old leaves wither but the center stays good, and eventually begins cranking out new leaves.  I have lost plants of D. aliciae, D. venusta/coccicaulis, D. slackii by keeping them overwet after flowering.  Feed the traps regularly now while they are still active, it takes a lot to put up that thick stalk!  D. aliciae does not flower as regularly as many other Drosera species, and I would love to see some photos of the flowering scape, esp. of the buds just before opening.  Congratulations on your mutual successes!
Actually, I repotted it yesterday as it had a very thick mat of dead leaves. I cut off all of the dead leaves since they can sometimes get a fungus from them. Should I still let it flower, or should I cut the stalk?
Thanks,
dewy

if it were mine i would let it flower. and than try to do as Tamlin suggests. its not terribly hard to find another of this species. but than again i really like seeing my plants flower even if it means a slight risk of loosing them. you should wind up with seed anyways. its your call but if the flower stalk is very far along cutting it now wont help a great deal.

Sure, let it flower! It's like the end of a movie and you wouldn't want to miss that. The layer of dead leaves you mention is actually a good indication that this plant is indeed D. aliciae. Some forms of D. natalensis have very similar leaves, but they don't persist.

Most of the South African Drosera species can really take some drying out, so have no fear. If the plant seems to be going strong after flowering, just let it go. If the new leaves are smaller and stunted try the rest period.

Here you go Tamlin.
My plant has 2 flower stalks coming up at different points of development.

Daliciae_F_Stalk.jpg

I have some grown from seeds from last year, the ones I keep in my tray are still just getting bigger and bigger, but a smaller one I put in my windowsill just tsarted sending up a scape the other day, this thread is good and timely (tho I don't USUALLY have any problems letting whatever feels like flowering go for it, so I was just gonna watch and observe)

I will make sure to dry heem out if it looks to be doing what Tamlin describes
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the photo of the buds. Nice and round they are, and a good indicator of the species.

Here is a photo of my emerging flower bud on my D.aliciae.
flowers_006.sized.jpg

ok, didn't want to start a whole new thread just for my related question.  With d. spatulatas, is it common for the plant to become/remain dewless when flowering?   Mine have been sending up multiple stalks, but the plant itself has been dewless for some time now.  I moved it from outside (where the rain and debris kept wrecking it) to an indoor windowsill, growing uncovered in a water tray.  Humidity is around 50~60%.   Picture below:  Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but my D. spatulatas do the same thing. They flower a lot and all or most of the dew goes away. I've been trying to cut flower stalks but its so dang hard. Every time I cut one off another one sprouts
mad.gif

heh, I've been letting mine flower just because I want the seeds, but the plant isn't dewing up and that frustrates me. I just put it under a humidity dome to see if it'll re-dew again. I got another D. spatulata inside a covered terrarium and it's dewy, but it's green as opposed to reddish like that one I posted.

Dewlwssness is a sign of plant stress. It can happen from flowering, but I did not find that a common event. Are there other issues affecting your plant possibly? In any event, increasing the humidity is a good idea. If otherwise healthy, the plant should quickly recover.

this morning I checked and parts of it have started dewing again. The humidity as well as the lower temps must have helped. I still want to harden it off to room humidity down the line.

It shouldn't be difficult. Just leave it out until it complains and return it to the higher humidity until it recovers. Mine do fine at 40-70% avaerage humidity, and once they color up they can take full sun outdoors with NP.

Back