Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D.aliciae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I noticed a flower stalk forming on my D.aliciae. I have 2 questions, though.
    1. I have heard that the flower stalks on D.aliciae can kill the plant. Is this true?
    2. Does it self-pollinate?
    Thanks,
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No
    2. Yes

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidently, my clump of them, after 2 years of cultivation, is finally sending up its frist stalk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flowering does set this species back. I found that resting the plants after flowering was a good plan. I reduced the watering by removing it from the water tray and then aimed at keeping the sphag top dressing just moist for a month or so, returning it to the water tray when active growth was again noted. The old leaves wither but the center stays good, and eventually begins cranking out new leaves. I have lost plants of D. aliciae, D. venusta/coccicaulis, D. slackii by keeping them overwet after flowering. Feed the traps regularly now while they are still active, it takes a lot to put up that thick stalk! D. aliciae does not flower as regularly as many other Drosera species, and I would love to see some photos of the flowering scape, esp. of the buds just before opening. Congratulations on your mutual successes!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 05 2006,7:56)]Flowering does set this species back. I found that resting the plants after flowering was a good plan. I reduced the watering by removing it from the water tray and then aimed at keeping the sphag top dressing just moist for a month or so, returning it to the water tray when active growth was again noted. The old leaves wither but the center stays good, and eventually begins cranking out new leaves. I have lost plants of D. aliciae, D. venusta/coccicaulis, D. slackii by keeping them overwet after flowering. Feed the traps regularly now while they are still active, it takes a lot to put up that thick stalk! D. aliciae does not flower as regularly as many other Drosera species, and I would love to see some photos of the flowering scape, esp. of the buds just before opening. Congratulations on your mutual successes!
    Actually, I repotted it yesterday as it had a very thick mat of dead leaves. I cut off all of the dead leaves since they can sometimes get a fungus from them. Should I still let it flower, or should I cut the stalk?
    Thanks,
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it were mine i would let it flower. and than try to do as Tamlin suggests. its not terribly hard to find another of this species. but than again i really like seeing my plants flower even if it means a slight risk of loosing them. you should wind up with seed anyways. its your call but if the flower stalk is very far along cutting it now wont help a great deal.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, let it flower! It's like the end of a movie and you wouldn't want to miss that. The layer of dead leaves you mention is actually a good indication that this plant is indeed D. aliciae. Some forms of D. natalensis have very similar leaves, but they don't persist.

Most of the South African Drosera species can really take some drying out, so have no fear. If the plant seems to be going strong after flowering, just let it go. If the new leaves are smaller and stunted try the rest period.
    "Grow More, Share More"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go Tamlin.
    My plant has 2 flower stalks coming up at different points of development.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast