What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd coincidence?

Well, an army of sugar ants was invading my room about one week ago. So, I got my D.burmannii and my D.aliciae and prepared them for the feast. I sprinkled quite a few ants on each plants leaves. Now, my D.aliciae and my 4 D.burmannii are all sending up flower stalks. Are the flowers the result of the feeding, or was it just a coincidence?
dewy

...D burmannii will die after it flowers just to tell you so get seeds.
alex

I would have to say it is both. coincidence and not...

I had 2 D. burmannii put up stalks before feeding and 4 put up stalks after. The 4 after are coming in a lot thicker and taller then the 2 before however.

It's also spring and just about every sundew I have is in one stage of blooming or another, without live food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 09 2006,2:24)]It's also spring and just about every sundew I have is in one stage of blooming or another, without live food.
Yes, but my plants are grown under a 16hr. photoperiod year round, so I don't think that could be it. One of the D.burmannii is about the size of a dime, which is usually too small for this species to flower.
dewy

my D.burmanii were also dime-sized when they bloomed, and they were under lights, so it's not altogether unheard of- just thought I'd add that, as I was kind of surprised as well

Back