What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusing D.capensis

Is D.capensis the same thing as D.capensis narrow leaf?
After researching some, it appears their might be a typical form. On BobZ's photo finder, he has D.capensis on there. According to the ICPS, the narrow leaf is the same as the typical except the fact that it forms shorter stems. I think I will ask in the sundew forum and see what some people say.
dewy

One man's thin leaf is another man's typical. Without cultivar registration there is no standard to refer to, and there is a lot of variation within the species - so who can tell? I've grown many forms, but to me they are all just D. capensis: some shorter and wider leaves, some taller with thinner leaves, some all red but otherwise typical, and another red form quite different.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 09 2006,8:53)]One man's thin leaf is another man's typical.  Without cultivar registration there is no standard to refer to, and there is a lot of variation within the species - so who can tell?  I've grown many forms, but to me they are all just D. capensis: some shorter and wider leaves, some taller with thinner leaves, some all red but otherwise typical, and another red form quite different.
My thoughts are that D.capensis and D.capensis narrow leaf are the exact same thing. I think that the so called D.capensis "typical" is actually D.capensis narrow leaf since it is the most commonly found cape sundew in cultivation.
dewy

It's an opinion I share as well. The wide leaf form is different: shorter stockier plants with leaves closer to D. ramencetacea (and possible hybridized with it as the 2 species are closely related).

According to Sarracenia Northwest, the narrow leaf form grows faster, and is found more in cultivation.

There is a lot of variation. The more stocky and shorter wider leaved form is likely the "Baines Kloof" form from what web photo's I have reviewed. Now THAT is an interesting form, and I still wonder if there isn't some involvement with Drosera ramencetacea. In fact, it's such an interesting variety I think I will start a topic!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ May 09 2006,2:49)]Is D.capensis the same thing as D.capensis narrow leaf?
There is a registered cultivar Drosera 'Narrow Leaf' {D'Amato}, which is a recognized form of D. capensis. Here is what the ICPS CP Database says:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] N: $[Drosera ' Narrow Leaf ' {D'Amato}]
P: Savage Garden:129 (1998)
S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
Nominant: ?WIP, before 1980
Introducer: ?WIP, from ZA
Description: Savage Garden:129 (1998)

"Similar to the (typical form) in almost all respects, except that tall stems are rarely produced, resulting in neater, more compact plants. the leaves and petioles are rather narrow, about a quarter inch in diameter."

Standard: Savage Garden:128 (1998), (only plant on the extreme right)
Etymology: after leaf form

BobZ, I have grown both the typical D.capensis and the D.capensis and I have noticed no differences at all. I am beginning to wonder whether their is a such thing as a D.capensis narrow leaf.
dewy

Back