What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew pics.

D.spatulata Fraser Island flower
flowers_001.sized.jpg

Another D.spatulata Fraser Island flower
flowers_004.sized.jpg

D.burmannii emerging flowers
flowers_005.sized.jpg

D.aliciae emerging flower stalk
flowers_006.sized.jpg

Spring's a happening in your Drosera collection! For a challenge, get me a shot of an open D. burmannii flower, heh heh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 09 2006,10:00)]Spring's a happening in your Drosera collection!  For a challenge, get me a shot of an open D. burmannii flower, heh heh.
I took some pics of 2 fully open D.burmannii flowers this morning. I will try to post them this afternoon.
dewy

Those stalks look like Interstate lamps!
laugh.gif
That is an excellent picture of an emerging flower stalk!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 09 2006,10:00)]Spring's a happening in your Drosera collection!  For a challenge, get me a shot of an open D. burmannii flower, heh heh.
As promised, here are the D.burmannii flower pics. Let me know what you think of them.
D.burmannii flower
flowers_012.sized.jpg

flowers_010.sized.jpg

I always look forward to topics in the Drosera board with a 56k warning. Gets you that warm feeling of anticipation.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the photo's, very nice both examples. I especially like the pink flower form photo, you got the styles in the shot, very definitive for this species. Pink is a rare flower form in D. burmannii do you know where the seed was originally from?

Well, there are more and more variations emerging since many folk are now growing both D. sessilifolia and D. burmannii in their collections at the same time. In my area there is some pollinator that did it's work, and the hybrid between D. burmannii and D. sessilifolia is fertile as well.

What this means is that pink flowered forms of D. burmannii have to always be a little "suspicious" especially if coming from a grower who has cultivated both forms. There are several places where populations of pink flowered D. burmannii are found, so it IS out there somewhere....maybe in your pot!!

I have yet to see a photo of a white flowered D. sessilifolia though.

This is a burmannii flower photo I took about a year ago.
Burmanni_flower_33.jpg

This is what I thought was a pink burmannii flower but when I posted it on the forum a while back it was identified as "probably" a sessilifolia.  
burmanni_red_flower.jpg

This is the plant.
burmanni_red.jpg

what is the difference in D. burmanni and D. sessifolia? does D. Sesslifolia not have the speed of D. burmanni? what is it?
alex

General oservation contrasting these 2 species:

Drosera burmannii is typically larger, green with white flowers although some red forms are to be found in various locales in Australia/Asia. D. sessilifolia is typically red, with pink flowers and of smaller stature and is a Brasillian native. Borh species form ready hybrids, with intermediate features of both plants.

Nice photos Lauderdale! The red form is good for D. sessifolia I think.

Hi,

i also managed to take pictures of the flower of one of my D. burmanni (i think, the picture shows a plant from Beerswah, but am not sure about this at the moment) and my D. sessilifolia (Chapada Dos Guimaraes). Another insteresting difference is, that the snap-tentacles are looking different (at least in the plants, i have observed - for more information on snap-tentacles see http://www.hartmeyer.de). Those of D. burmanni always have a red margin, while those of D. sessilifolia have a white margin. This is true for all the forms i am growing.

Drosera sessilifolia:

sessilifoliatn.jpg

larger picture

sessitn.jpg

larger picture

Drosera burmanni:

burmannitn.jpg

larger picture

burmatn.jpg

larger picture

Christian

Thanks for the information Christian, maybe you have struck on a reliable method of telling them apart. I would be curious if anyone else growing both species can confirm this observation?

Hi,

It actually was Siggi Hartmeyer, who discovered this hile working on snap-tentacels. Anyone, who is growing these two should have a look on these tentacles. I feel, that this could be a good way to identify them.

Christian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 29 2006,12:21)]Thanks for the photo's, very nice both examples.  I especially like the pink flower form photo, you got the styles in the shot, very definitive for this species.  Pink is a rare flower form in D. burmannii do you know where the seed was originally from?

Well, there are more and more variations emerging since many folk are now growing both D. sessilifolia and D. burmannii in their collections at the same time.  In my area there is some pollinator that did it's work, and the hybrid between D. burmannii and D. sessilifolia is fertile as well.

What this means is that pink flowered forms of D. burmannii have to always be a little "suspicious" especially if coming from a grower who has cultivated both forms.  There are several places where populations of pink flowered D. burmannii are found, so it IS out there somewhere....maybe in your pot!!

I have yet to see a photo of a white flowered D. sessilifolia though.
I receieved these plants from Jeremiah Harris back in January, and I believe he grows D.burmannii and D.sessifolia. Due to the shape of the tentacles and the actual flower color ( it is actually whiter than it appears) I believe it is D.burmanni.
dewy

Back