Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baines Kloof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have long been curious about this variety of Drosera capensis. I know a couple of forum members had it in cultivation and the topic has been discussed both here and in more snobby places (Hmmmph) I no longer frequent. I'd like to hear from growers of this plant. I never had the chance to cultivate it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have some hybrid involvement with the closely related D. ramencetacea. How does it compare in cultivation to the more typical narrow leaf form? Any difference in the flowers between the two forms, or possibly in seed testa details, presuming it self seeds.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Andrew had a more recent mention of it, but here's what a search yielded:

Baines Kloof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankee Jimscott. I was hoping for some deeper discussion and some current photo's.

I wonder who originally collected it?

Hey Christian Dietz, was this ever discussed on your excellent German forum?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William,

I can't remember a serious discussion about D. capensis-Forms on our german board. You can find some pictures in these threads:

http://forum.carnivoren.org/topic.p....ntague&

http://forum.carnivoren.org/topic.ph...ghlight=palme&

I am growing D. capensis from several locations. Most are still very small, as i have sown them only recently. I do have the following D. capensis:

D. capensis - Ceres Mts
    D. capensis - Matroosberg
    D. capensis - Vogelgaat
    D. capensis - Montagu Pass
    D. capensis - all red
    D. capensis 'Albino'
    D. capensis "typical" (whatever that means in such a variable complex of plants)

I am also growing this plant: http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/c...amentacea1.htm

I got it as D. ramentacea, which it surely is not. I was told, that this is most likely a hybrid between D. ramentacea and capensis. I have not yet flowered it, so i do not know anything about the flower and if it produces seeds. From what i have heard, D. ramentacea is very rare in nature. I wonder if it is growing together with D. capensis in the wild. How about D. glabripes and D. hilaris? Are they also growing together with D. capensis in the wild?

I am sure, that there is some natural hybridisation in some of the D. capensis-Forms. If anyone knows from locations, where D. capensis grows together with other plants, please let me know, which plants these are.

As for the relationsship of D. ramentacea and D. capensis, i am not sure, how close they are related. If you follow the theory, that D. ramentacea is a natural hybrid of D. glabripes and D. hilaris (D. ramentacea is, as far as i know, only known from locations where D. glabripes and D. hilaris are growing together), they are at least not directly related.

If anyone has seeds of D. capensis from locations (i am only interested in location forms!), that i do not have (especially the form from Baines Kloaf), please let me know. I am really interested in these plants at the moment!

Christian

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have pictures from 2 months ago... But not really any awesome talk about it... :-\ lol Mine has flowered quite a few times, rarely producing a "normal" flower and "never" making seed.
    That second link you gave is crazy!! My top always dies and regrows fromt he bottom before the "stem" gets that tall/long... That's why you see 3 plants in my pictures, when i started with 1. It dies back (not too uncommon for SA plants right?) and when it grows back sometimes it has more plants. lol

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photo's, thanks much! That possible hybrid is a very interesting plant! Yes, I am currently interested in the various forms of Drosera capensis, so I appreciate the information provided. The Baines Kloof var. doesn't seem to produce much seed from all I have heard, but I surely would like to see the seed testa.

Anyone else have some photos of D. capensis oddities?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Adnedarn: Are you sure, that your plant is the Bain's Kloof-Form? It does not look like the plant i know from this location. Here are some links to pictures:

http://home.sdirekt-net.de/mwelge5/a...a_capensis.htm (grown by Matthias Teichert and Markus Welge)

http://www.utricularia.net/sonstig....oaf.jpg grown by Christian Klein - the plants are several years old an all in one single pot. The biggest D. capensis i have ever seen. The picture cannot really show the size.

Christian

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta say, that "plants" grown by Christian Klein is RIDICULOUS, I can't imagine what it would be like to see it in "real life", truly impressive
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast