Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D Adelae - Willy Makeit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Though I've never tried it, it makes sense. These bog plants should be able to take being submerged a lot more than air-breathing insects like aphids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I have progressed my experiment one step further now. When I moved the Adelae inside the house to a windowsill I put the 3 smaller plants inside large lowes plastic cubes to act like a terrarium for them, maybe help w the humidity (I put some water in the bottom of the large cube so the little cube the plant is in is sitting in a cm of water) as my A/C runs 24/7, however the two smaller but unburnt plants new leaves are now too large and hitting the inside walls of the cube, so I have removed the terrarium-cubes and they are now just sitting on the sill 'bare naked' so to speak. I'll keep a close eye but Im hoping it works out so I can repot into pots that will fit the windowsill (cause the island-bog setup Im using for all my other plants would be too large). Besides, the large damaged adelae hasnt been enclosed since I moved it inside cause I didnt have anything big enough to put it into.
    And, yesterday my D binata collection arrived, Ive planted 3 varieties -- binata, multifada and dichotoma in a single hanging basket island bog. Never even seen these types of drosera before so Im really looking forward to seing how they turn out.
    Ill take some pics and if the plant dont die Ill post em

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually, I would have the 3 small adelae in something that drains. In general, maintaining humidity is an overrated and unnecessary thing to achieve, at least in an artificial environment. It's too easy to produce mold. When a drained pot is placed in a plastic container of water, that provides enough local humidity.

You'll love binatas! They are practically indestrucible and very easy to propogate through leaf cuttings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going pot shopping this weekend. Hmm, what a funny sentence
    I discovered one of the adelae cubes leaks so I have to repot now, probably do 2 plants per pot. Maybe.
    I understand the binata/multifada tolerate sunlight pretty well so atm I have them on the patio but receiving no direct sun, just ambient light while they get acclimated. But Im wondering how long I should do that and how sun-hardy are they, I already burnt one batch of dews, prefer to avoid it this time if possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give plants a good couple of weeks in shadier conditions to be safe. There's a difference between taking one's acclimated and healthy plants from the window sill to outside and taking a neglected garden center plant or another's hobbyists plant that just spent a few days in shipment. The happier the plant was before moving to outside, the more it can take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new dews
    Binata, dichotoma and multifada all in one pot:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the pot! It's part hanging basket and part open tray. You can even put leaf cuttings in the saucer part to propogate more plants. Nice job!

Is it all LFS or just the top?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I got the idea from Savage Garden in the mini-bogs section where he mentions hanging island bogs. Im a bit concerned about the weight though, going to have to make sure the hook and hanger is up to the task.
    The media is approx 60/40 peat/sand mix with LFS topping. I dont understand the leaf cuttings thing, how would I put leaf cutting in the saucer part if its half full with water?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast