Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowes cube!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for lowe's!! i got a HUGE D. Adaele in one of those cubes. I was going to take the top off but then i realized this sudden drop in humidity could make it look just terrible! so how can i acclimate it to a window sill without it looking terrible? same thing with my D. Capensis. i want them to be dewy and redden up but i need help. any suggestions?
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time. Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base. Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more. You just have to do it slowly.
    Good luck.
    -Nick
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ May 30 2006,1:47)]Yay for lowe's!! i got a HUGE D. Adaele in one of those cubes. I was going to take the top off but then i realized this sudden drop in humidity could make it look just terrible! so how can i acclimate it to a window sill without it looking terrible? same thing with my D. Capensis. i want them to be dewy and redden up but i need help. any suggestions?
    alex
    So you got a capensis from lowes too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should go to lowes, all the plants ive gotten from those places die too easily(expt vft)
    Try geting a piece of plastic rap and replace the top with a thin sheet. Poke one hole every day with a pencil.
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ May 30 2006,2:49)]The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time. Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base. Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more. You just have to do it slowly.
    Good luck.
    -Nick
    That is dead on. Exactly what you should do.

When I buy these plants, I open the lid but I leave it on and "turn" the lid just a little so it is just barly open. Every day I "turn" the lid a little more to help aclimation.

If you just take off the lid completly the plant will look dead in just a few minuets.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ May 30 2006,8:01)]
    Quote[/b] (Nickz123 @ May 30 2006,2:49)]The best way to acclimate plants that are in those cubes is to open it up very slowly over a period of time. Try opening it a little and sticking something thin, like a peice of mulch or a pen cap, between the lid and the base. Leave it like that for a few days and then then try opening a little more. You just have to do it slowly.
    Good luck.
    -Nick
    That is dead on. Exactly what you should do.

When I buy these plants, I open the lid but I leave it on and "turn" the lid just a little so it is just barly open. Every day I "turn" the lid a little more to help aclimation.

If you just take off the lid completly the plant will look dead in just a few minuets.
    ah how true.

no i didnt get capensis from lowe's but it has been in a cube for a long time. thanks you all!
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blehhh.. if you want to drag out the acclimation process for days or weeks.. the above mentioned methods are the way to go. In my experience, D. adelae is about as bomb-proof as you can get. Yank the top off, dig it out, and plant it in a 4 inch pot in an open tray. If you break any roots in the process, cut them into about 1 inch pieces and pot them up too.

D. adelae prefers artificial light so under fluorescents is what I recommend, but if you have a window that does not get any direct sunlight, that should work fine.

Keep it watered, but not severely wet, and in a few months you will have a pot so crammed full of plants that you won't know what to do with them.

Good luck,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it works different depending on what kind of environment you live in. I tried the yanking off top and letting the plant just do its thing in open tray by a East windowsill. Room humidity was around 50%. It stopped dewing after 2 weeks and now the mother plant is as dried up as it can be. It started sprouting plantlets near its base after I replaced the humidity dome. A similar plant I have at home never had its dome removed and it's still dewing quite nicely and is also sprouting plantlets.

In my experience, D. adelae from Lowes isn't bomb-proof and tends to go into shock quite easily. D. capensis is a different matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast