What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae vs. Seed

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
When dealing with CITES and phytosanitary certificates and classifications, gemmae is regarded as living material, while seeds are not. consequently, there are restrictions on gemmae, more so than with seeds. Why? Why are are they regarded differently? What possible diseases may be passed from a window sill plant to another hobbyist? Why are they classified differently when they are treated the same way (sow, add water & light, and wait)? Who decided that gemmae should be classified as such? Why is it okay to ship gemmae to Hawaii, which is ~5,000 miles away and across part of an Ocean and not be able to send them to Canada, which is only a half hour drive?

A quick and dirty answer might be the ease of pathogens to infect and hide within living tissue, (gemmae). The opposite is probably true of seeds although not completely so, the chances are less likely. Maybe if one of the USDA agents that watch our forums would comment anonymously we could get a striaght answer ?
blues.gif

People always propose reasons for not doing or not allowing or... and it's like something that could happen, as in the potential exists, but it's unrealistically remote. I mean, there's no regulations placed upon household germs or shopping carts and there's far more likely a spread of disease than a handful of gemmae. There's theory and then there's living in reality. It reminds me of locking your doors because your somone might break in and steal. Btu I have more crime committed by by my own children in one day that I would see in a lifetime from strangers!

OK, your right and I'll agree about the kids indoors too ! vandalism, petty theft and eating my leftovers before I get home. What it really comes down to is the $$ for a phyto. certificate.
blues.gif
big brother needs a way to keep the cash coming in to pay the inspectors. If you only knew how much $$ is still floating out there owed by the big corporations. It's easier to police the little guys for fear of doing wrong. Maybe it's time to contact your local congressional representative and get the ball rollin.

Btw more invasive species (Gypsy Moth, Emerald Ash Bore, Monster Carp) and infectious pathogens have entered the country through free trade and natural migratory routes than any seed swap or gemmae swap. $$ rules though. Money talk, %&#*(^@ walk !

I think Droseraguy has the bottom line on this.

The law is pretty much unenforceable. Nothing will change except that once honest folk will now be crimminals.

I spoke with many authorities regarding this issue, and gave my opinions and suggestions - believe me the new restrictions are much lighter than they might have been, (or actually were!). 50.00 minimum to send a seed out of the USA, regardless of species. Lots of hoops: USDA, Fish and Wildlife....I hope the new regs serve.

Meanwhile I told them we have populations going extinct while those who would preserve them mourn with tied hands. So it goes.

Tamlin, are you familiar with the new APHIS ruling?

No, but it HAS to be an improvement. Do you have a link to it?

That's the one! I registered as Level 2 and am wading through how to implement it.

Back