Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D. prolifera

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had seed from my flowers before, but I think it was sterile, as I haven't seen any seedlings. Yes, that's my x. edinensis you've got there. It's very red - you must be taking good care of it. I miss those big fancy pitchers - I've made more cuttings since I cloned that one for you and now the old plant is back to making little miniature traps. If I recall, you sent me some Sarrs, Utrics and a P. gigantea. The S. x 'Scarlet Belle' doesn't seem to have taken dormancy too well, but it's coming back now and everything else is doing great. I even got flowers from the U. sandersonii 'Blue' without trying! :)
    As for D. prolifera, my method differs from that of chloroplast. I just wait until a few buds have appeared on the flower stalk and then I tamp it down into moist LFS. Usually, by that time the stalk has nearly found the ground anyways. A plantlet comes up from that spot a few weeks later. I don't bother to cut the stalks until I move one of the connected pots; they usually die off on their own once the plantlets are about half the size of the mother plant, about five or six leaves later. I've never noticed a slowdown in my adult specimen, but the offsets seem to mature much more slowly when severed early on, so I usually just let them go. I get between four and eight new plants per flowering cycle, and then my plant stops flowering for a few weeks.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe

PS - If you have more questions, you can ask WildBill - my prolifera came from him originally, and he seemed to have a decent knowledge of their requirements when I recieved it.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]In general, D. prolifera seems to be in the middle on the difficulty scale for the 3 sisters...
    I find it by far the easiest of the three (D. adelae just doesn't like me). I find that the flower stalks almost always produce plantlets at their tips with no extra help from me. When they do this, I simply ensure that the plantlet is in contact with the peat/sphagnum, and Bob's your uncle!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The one thing i do know... is D. prolifera WILL NOT take the amount of light I give my D. adelae... I have my D. adelae in full sun. I tried that not too long ago with the D. prolifera and it instantly went down hill... What you see in the above picture is the return from that atttempt. Here is my D. adelae.... (just for fun)

As far as the D. prolifera information goes... Thank YOU ALL I hope I can have HALF the success you all talk about!!
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I have found with the Queensland sisters, they do best for me when left alone. I dont move them around much and they seem to adjust better for me like that. I am guilty of overfussing with my plants which has done more of them in than neglect ever did. So if they are growing well, don't be tempted to improve things. Let em be.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everybody
    I was looking thru this topic when i realized that the profilera[Edit: actual name Drosera prolifera] i got at LACPS has a flower stalk too. Anyway, i read thru the different methods and i dont fully understand how to do this.

do you cut the stalk off at the base and put it onto soil or what? Sorry for the trouble, but step by step detailed instructions would be very helpful.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-06-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all form plantlets but many do. If it forms a plantlet on the end, just guide it to a little patch of soil-maybe set a new pot nearby- and lit it sit on the surface. It will set roots down and start growing. When it's got several leaves and has got a little larger, you can cut the stalk that attaches to the mother plant.

Cheers,
    Joe

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I ended up getting 1 plant off the last flower (seen right of the main plant) and now another flower to try again Thanks for everyones help!!!

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are difinitely the King of D. burmannii, lol.
    Do you have any pots they do not spontaneously spring up in?

Cheers,

Joe
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast