What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. prolifera

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I had not too long ago traded someone for a nep and a D. prolifera (WHO WERE YOU?!!! PLEASE HELP! LOL) Anywho... The first flower opened the other day, I recall something about putting the flower on media to produce a runner... But when? And how? And what else??? Please help me. This is my first living prolifera after like 4 trys and it's doing so good!!!!
Thanks
Andrew

Edit: here is the plant about a week ago:
D.prolifera.jpg

Hi! I think that was me! Just let the stalk unfurl, then stick it back in the LFS. They usually make two or three flower buds before they're ready to make an offset. It's flowering so early! None of my other offsets have flowered (that I know of.)
Good luck!
~Joe

Heey! I think it WAS you!!! Is this a nep you might have sent out? this one right here and they came in Live sphagnum with perlite i think under...??

So wait till all the flowers have opened and closed first?
Thanks! (I hope whatever i sent you is doing good too then :-D)

Try PMing Seandew. I think he'll know.

You can wait until flowering is over or just do it now. The flowers aren't much to look at and this species never produces seed (at least for me).

It doesn't proliferate?
smile_m_32.gif
Does it do leaf cuttings or vegetative propogation?

The flower stalk usually produces a small plantlet at its tip. When this happens, place the plantlet onto a nearby pot with LFS (or whatever mix you use). Allow the plantlet to grow one or two leaves before cutting the stalk but don't keep the stalk on as this drains the mother plant of energy. D. prolifera can produce multiple stalks at one time, each with a plantlet.

My D. prolifera has produced four plantlets in the past 6 months with this method. It's still sending up stalks, but I cut them off when they form to let the plant conserve its energy to form new leaves.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 05 2006,10:55)]It doesn't proliferate?
smile_m_32.gif
Does it do leaf cuttings or vegetative propogation?
Under the optimal conditions - yes. Like the other sisters - when you find the 'zone', it'll grow like a weed. Out of the 'zone' - croakage.

In general, D. prolifera seems to be in the middle on the difficulty scale for the 3 sisters...

Leaf cuttings work ...

I've had seed from my flowers before, but I think it was sterile, as I haven't seen any seedlings. Yes, that's my x. edinensis you've got there. It's very red - you must be taking good care of it. I miss those big fancy pitchers - I've made more cuttings since I cloned that one for you and now the old plant is back to making little miniature traps. If I recall, you sent me some Sarrs, Utrics and a P. gigantea. The S. x 'Scarlet Belle' doesn't seem to have taken dormancy too well, but it's coming back now and everything else is doing great. I even got flowers from the U. sandersonii 'Blue' without trying! :)
As for D. prolifera, my method differs from that of chloroplast. I just wait until a few buds have appeared on the flower stalk and then I tamp it down into moist LFS. Usually, by that time the stalk has nearly found the ground anyways. A plantlet comes up from that spot a few weeks later. I don't bother to cut the stalks until I move one of the connected pots; they usually die off on their own once the plantlets are about half the size of the mother plant, about five or six leaves later. I've never noticed a slowdown in my adult specimen, but the offsets seem to mature much more slowly when severed early on, so I usually just let them go. I get between four and eight new plants per flowering cycle, and then my plant stops flowering for a few weeks.
Best luck,
~Joe

PS - If you have more questions, you can ask WildBill - my prolifera came from him originally, and he seemed to have a decent knowledge of their requirements when I recieved it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In general, D. prolifera seems to be in the middle on the difficulty scale for the 3 sisters...

I find it by far the easiest of the three (D. adelae just doesn't like me). I find that the flower stalks almost always produce plantlets at their tips with no extra help from me. When they do this, I simply ensure that the plantlet is in contact with the peat/sphagnum, and Bob's your uncle!

The one thing i do know... is D. prolifera WILL NOT take the amount of light I give my D. adelae... I have my D. adelae in full sun. I tried that not too long ago with the D. prolifera and it instantly went down hill... What you see in the above picture is the return from that atttempt. Here is my D. adelae.... (just for fun)
dadelae.jpg

As far as the D. prolifera information goes... Thank YOU ALL I hope I can have HALF the success you all talk about!!
smile.gif

Andrew

One thing I have found with the Queensland sisters, they do best for me when left alone. I dont move them around much and they seem to adjust better for me like that. I am guilty of overfussing with my plants which has done more of them in than neglect ever did. So if they are growing well, don't be tempted to improve things. Let em be.

Hi everybody
I was looking thru this topic when i realized that the profilera[Edit: actual name Drosera prolifera] i got at LACPS has a flower stalk too. Anyway, i read thru the different methods and i dont fully understand how to do this.

do you cut the stalk off at the base and put it onto soil or what? Sorry for the trouble, but step by step detailed instructions would be very helpful.

Not all form plantlets but many do. If it forms a plantlet on the end, just guide it to a little patch of soil-maybe set a new pot nearby- and lit it sit on the surface. It will set roots down and start growing. When it's got several leaves and has got a little larger, you can cut the stalk that attaches to the mother plant.

Cheers,
Joe

Well, I ended up getting 1 plant off the last flower (seen right of the main plant) and now another flower to try again
smile.gif
Thanks for everyones help!!!
prolifera8_2006.JPG

Andrew

You are difinitely the King of D. burmannii, lol.
Do you have any pots they do not spontaneously spring up in?

smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

...I don't think so. hahahaaa I'm waiting for them to pop up on the large gravel covering the g/h floor. LOL

Back