User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: drosophyllum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just acquired a small drosophyllum (in 4" clay pot) and slack potted it. The smaller pot has some sphagnum moss in the drain hole to "wick" water into the smaller pot.

My questions are:

How on earth is the plant supposed to push its roots into the larger pot through the small, partially obstructed drain hole of the inner pot?

Has anyone contemplated removing the entire bottom of the small pot (or enlarge the drain hole) with a masonry drill bit to allow more room for the roots to grow through?

Thanks.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably just repot the plant into a larger pot, rather than drill through the smaller pot. I have repotted dozens of Drosophyllum without any problem. Even had a large Drosophyllum fall out from a large clay pot when the pot tipped in the car. I repotted this plant and it recovered in around 2 month.
    In my opinion, Slack potting is unnecessary and it would be better to just start the plant in large pots, or transplant from a small pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personaly i dont agree with cp2k, perhaps he has success with repotting this plant but for most of us (as widely stated) it will die. How about you carefully drill eight holes into the sides of the pot and then pot the plant into a larger pot. Dont risk kiling the plant by transplanting it.

Your choice. Good luck though!
    Mens Et Manus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your replies; I appreciate it. I'll think about these options for a little bit before making a decision and I'll let you know what I ended up doing.

Once again, thanks very much.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)