Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. capillaris

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I had 2 populations of them and then we moved to East Aurora and the collection got split between our apartment and the tenant downstairs. Several species were lost over the ensuing weeks and one of them was D. capillaris. I recently obtained two plants, one that came with a flower scape of spent flowers.

I did dormancy for my minibog plants (temperate sundews, Sarracenias, 2 VFT's, and cobra lily) by simply taking their buckets to the attic and placing them at SW window sill, watering sparingly. The attic is cold, but not frigid, drawing some heat from our apartment. Then, as the photoperiod increased, one by one, the plants naturally woke up. Thought I'd lost my D. filiformis (california Sunset & red) and my D. binatas, but they just took a little longer. I DID lose the 2 VFT's, but they weren't doing well while we were still in Reading PA and may have died before the move to the attic.

Anyways, I'm no stranger to experimenting and failing and succeeding.... Are D. capillaris decent minibog plants in our area?

Here's one population picture:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ June 16 2006,10:10)]... I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?
    You're correct, I believe if you look closely in roadside drainage ditches on rural roads, and beside bodies of water, in your vicinity you will most likely discover acres of this species.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimscott

The photo you show above, labeled as Drosera capillaris, from your camera angle appears less than 100% certain of its ID. Can you give us an overhead shot too? It would help me greatly if I could get a different clear view of the petioles and stipules.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! This is even a worse picture!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good input guys. I hope mine enjoys the outside living. What I'm hoping for is I get some flowers from it this year to collect seed from. Next spring I am going to start a minibog and would like to use capillaris as ground cover of sorts
    Updated Growlist!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12