Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. capillaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to samo I now have some D. capillaris. I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?
    Updated Growlist!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine outside here year round. The largest and prettiest ones grow in the shadows of the tall Sarracenia. I believe that D. capillaris will do just fine alongside your VFTs and Sars.

Good luck,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ June 16 2006,6:10)]Thanks to samo I now have some D. capillaris. I live in atlanta GA and do keep Sarracenia and VFTs outside. I believe that capillaris is from around this part of the world. As such, is it best grown outside, or on a windowsill?
    Same here... does this species form a resting bud? Can it be kept as one would a binata, filiformis, intermedia, and rotundifolia? I was thinking about putting it in a minibog outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand the individual plant doesn't live much more than a year.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, CRAP!!!! DON'T tell mine!!!!! They have been growing for five, and if they knew they were supposed to be dead, I'd be ticked!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok. In Savage Garden it states that they can be annuals
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't believe everything you read. Plants are as individual as people, and maybe some do die out and drop seed. But if the conditions are right, the winters not too cold, d. capillaris will live as long as it wants to. Books are usually repititious about some "facts". I have rocked the boat by showing the plants don't read. And they will live as long as they are supposed to. In Peter's first edition of "Savage Garden", he stated VFT's only live two or three decades. THAT is also untrue. His later editions have changed since then since he was called on MANY mistakes in the book. Recent editions , however, are more accurate as changes were made. As far as the plants are concerned, give THEM a chance to show you what they can do, and use your instincts, some book learning, and a heckuva lot of questions. You just might be suprised. Many times----pleasantly!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera capillaris from the Southern range is an indefinite grower....perhaps you have this confused witrh the American D. brevifolia which is often (and incorrectly) regarded as an annual species?

D. capillaris fromthe extreme Northern range do form a sort of resting bud, but it is not as tight as D. rotundifolia or D. intermedia.

Plants from anywhere in the US do not grow well during the winter months, at least, not for me. It's a time of rest where drier and colder conditions should be provided. How cold does it get where you are? No form of D. capillaris will survive a long freeze. The only way to know is to try the experiment, and then report your observations so the rest of us can profit from your success....or failure. It's often the failures that are the best teachers...like with getting hit with a stick you learn FAST. NEver be afraid to try and kill a plant for a good cause.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast