Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera binata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are D. binata Self Pollinating? Mine are flowering right now and just courious

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC they arent supposed to be self fertile and yah need a different clone, that said ive had lil binata complex seedlings pop up at a time when i only had one D. binata so im not sure if thats 100 percent true

cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two stalks flowering right now, with a third on the way. So I've been using a fine paintbrush and going from flower to flower and stalk to stalk. I really don't know what the answer is or if what I am doing is a waste of time or not. But I'll know in a couple months - maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a hard question for me to answer. When i had a single clone, I got no seed. Later i had about 10 forms and some of them made A TON and a half of seed....worse than D. capensis they were everywhere and in between!!. Did I need more than one clone, or did some of them self while others not? I can't say. Maybe a pollinator was needed and found since mine are all outdoor grown. I *think* the New Zealand forms like "small red" *may* be self fertile. The point is rather moot, considering the number of plants one can produce from root and leaf cuttings.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I crossed D. binata 'large' and D. binata 'extrema'. No seeds and my poor plants suffered a set back from the flowering.

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys

I have the New Zealand form and the regular form ( the regular seems to be a bit bigger) but cool little flowers! Gona try to have some seed. Thanks again

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once had a clone that was self-fertile. At one time or another I've had most of the commonly known clones, most are not self-fertile.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a large range of different forms from various locations across Australia and NZ. I've found that most are not self-fertile. Those that are tend to be the smaller single forked varieties. There is actually one of these forms that grows close to where I live that produces copious amounts of seed without any help from other plants. The only multi-forked clone that I have ever grown that has been self-fertile is a hybrid that I made between 2 different location forms of the "multifida" variety. Some of the progeny was self-fertile whereas others were not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast