What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata

Are D. binata Self Pollinating? Mine are flowering right now and just courious

Jim

IIRC they arent supposed to be self fertile and yah need a different clone, that said ive had lil binata complex seedlings pop up at a time when i only had one D. binata so im not sure if thats 100 percent true

I have two stalks flowering right now, with a third on the way. So I've been using a fine paintbrush and going from flower to flower and stalk to stalk. I really don't know what the answer is or if what I am doing is a waste of time or not. But I'll know in a couple months - maybe.

That's a hard question for me to answer. When i had a single clone, I got no seed. Later i had about 10 forms and some of them made A TON and a half of seed....worse than D. capensis they were everywhere and in between!!. Did I need more than one clone, or did some of them self while others not? I can't say. Maybe a pollinator was needed and found since mine are all outdoor grown. I *think* the New Zealand forms like "small red" *may* be self fertile. The point is rather moot, considering the number of plants one can produce from root and leaf cuttings.

I crossed D. binata 'large' and D. binata 'extrema'. No seeds and my poor plants suffered a set back from the flowering.
confused.gif

thanks guys

I have the New Zealand form and the regular form ( the regular seems to be a bit bigger) but cool little flowers! Gona try to have some seed. Thanks again

Jim

I once had a clone that was self-fertile. At one time or another I've had most of the commonly known clones, most are not self-fertile.

I have a large range of different forms from various locations across Australia and NZ. I've found that most are not self-fertile. Those that are tend to be the smaller single forked varieties. There is actually one of these forms that grows close to where I live that produces copious amounts of seed without any help from other plants. The only multi-forked clone that I have ever grown that has been self-fertile is a hybrid that I made between 2 different location forms of the "multifida" variety. Some of the progeny was self-fertile whereas others were not.

Coromantel NZ is I believe the common type self fertile most easily found out there. It is in the ICPS seedbank because all of the seed Jim kept getting from it.

I have managed to self (and by self I mean specifically pollinate a flower with its own pollen) all of my binata complex plants but not without some difficulty. Seed sets are very much lower on selfed blooms but they are selfable. I have also found that flowers from seperate but identical plants produce viable seed (i.e. the flower off a mature plant grown from root cutting is used to pollinate the flower of the mother plant.) These plants are the same clone so technically it is selfing.

The D. binata dichotoma (small form) I have that multiforks is self fertile. Drops seed like rain. They come up looking very d. rotundifolia like, but that goes by quick. And small form isn't really so small. Why they call it that is because it isn't as large as the giant form dichotma in leaf thickness.

Thanks Guys

Im gona try to get some seed and if i do anyone that wants some Ill send it to any one that wants it.

Jim

Yeah, the form Steve is talking about is definatly self fertile. I have more of those than I do of D. capensis.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why they call it that is because it isn't as large as the giant form dichotma in leaf thickness.
thanks for mentioning that BW, I have been trying to figure out why my D. dichotoma "giant" is so small
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mabudon @ June 22 2006,7:49)]I have been trying to figure out why my D. dichotoma "giant" is so small
biggrin.gif
Ah bugger!! Did I mislabel those roots?!?

LOL dunno, if you didn't thn I mislabbeled my pots
biggrin.gif
- I think maybe it might be the pot I have 'em in too, as I have what MUST be Marston Dragon in a big deep pot and the thing is HUGE, whereas my D.dichotoma "giant" are in a kinda small pot- the "small red form" and D."extrema" died on me for no good reason, but that might be another mistake on my part, I could have actually lost the "giant" (and no dogs came up despie me planting them promptly
biggrin.gif
)

Hopefully I can get some pics once they're in full swing outside and get this sorted out, I just got them hardened off in the last few weeks and they are just starting to kick butt now

Back