What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera peltata

Hello,

Some of my D.peltata seed recently germinated. The seedlings are ~3 months old (and are growing nicely) and the pot is sitting in water under good lighting/air circulation. After reading the old posts on this species, I have a few questions please:

1. Should the pot be sitting in water while the seedlings are growing?

2. Do the seelings enter dormancy like adult plants that already have a tuber (i.e., do they have the same growth period before dying back)? I would imagine so.

3. There are many seedlings in the pot. I would eventually like to separate them into many pots. From what I understand, the best time to do this is during dormancy. Can I separate them during their first dormancy or will the tubers be too small/fragile to be transplanted?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Ken

As far as separating the seedlings, now, while they are still young, is when I do it.

<span style='color:eek:range'>My usual method:
1) Set the pot in a container of water that brings the water level to the top of the media in the pot or slightly more.
2) Use a disecting needle or fine forceps to pluck groups of seedlings gently out of the pot with/without media clinging to their roots and lay them on the lid of a plastic container, like the lid from a cottage cheese container (white plastic), layed upside down so it becomes a shallow tray, lay the seedlings in this tray, add a little water, if necessary to help separate the seedlings.
3) Pluck out individual seedlings, don't try to clean all media from them, place them into their new location and gently spritz them to settle them in.</span>

Thanks a bunch, Joe!

I'll save this reply for the future and start separating the little guys now.

Take care,

Ken

Joe or Ken,

I also have about 12 tiny seedlings. I placed from 2 - 6 in 4" square pots (is 6 too many?) and have them in a Wardian terrarium with a N exposure. Because of the AC the temp is staying cool (below 80F) most of the time except during peak sunlight. Do I need to induce dormancy before winter comes?

Back