What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remedy for deformity

Storytime

My new d. prolifera started to grow since I got it, but the forming leaf it came with opened up deformed. (All wavy and twisted). But then, this little fly landed in my cup of water...

I stuck it right in the middle of the deformed leaf, now its perfectly straight... picture later.

And now a question: will plantlets form on the flower stalks coming up ifthey dont touch the soil? Also, what causes the twisted leaf shape?

The formation of plants on scapes is a hit or miss thing. I never was able to get them to do it when I wanted them to, it just happened on its own and not too often. Usually in conditions of very high humidity, so I can't advise you. Try some experiments and let us know the results!

Twisted leaves are a result of a line of cells dying off. It could be from any number of reasons, insect involvement included. Check carefully *undersides of leaves, too* for the presence of pests. Other causes can be sunburn or virus infection, and over mineralization in the mix. I assume a genetic predisposition to this condition may sometimes occurr as well, sort of like plant cancer.

what sorts of pests should I be looking for?
and how would I know its viral? (though the other leaves were perfectly fine).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The pests would likely be spider mites ot mealy bug IF they are really there. If the rest of the plant is typical it's nothing to worry about, esp. if it is growing well.

Ok, thanks. Its growing well and is otherwise healthy, though the newer leaves are a bit twisted. I couldn't find any pests on the leaf.

Aphids also cause malformed, twisted leaves. I don't like to use chemicals and have had 100% success with immersing affected plants for a few days. Do you have a magnifying glass to check?

twistedleaf.jpg

the leaf w/ the red "hairs" is the newest one...small but undeformed.

Back