Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.regia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it normal for D.regia leaves to continue getting smaller? My D.regai is producing smaller and smaller leaves, but it has also produced a offshoot. Also, the leaves have yet to unravel like they should ( the tentacles don't unfold and produce dew). Is their any way to fix this problem?
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít grow D. Regia, so I donít know from experience.

But from other sundews I grow, if I have recently moved them to a higher light enviornment, the leaves get a bit more compact, with more color and dew.
    Since yours is not making dew, and the leaves are not straigtening out I would say that it is a lack of light, but that wouldnt entirely explain the small leaves.
    If you included more information about your growing conditions, a more experienced grower could probably spot the problem.
    Im a terible speeler, but I are collage stodint.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicuris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As trainspotting has noted, the greatest factor affecting typical growth is light. This might be the problem. The plant also appreciates a good night time temp. drop, it is a highland species...not sure how you are growing yours. Maybe Pinguicula man can help more, I did not have the greatest success with this species, but noted it did best in cooler conditions of spring and fall. My plant was grown in the nekkid outdoors. Good luck with this cultivar, it is a very nice Drosera.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two D. regia (as I think I've told you before Dewy) and I have experienced what you're talking about. It was happening all the time until I started running my AC at night, dropping temps into the low 70s and upper 60s. Since that change, my plants have produced many giant, healthy leaves.

Perhaps your D. regia just needs that night time temperature drop. Also, please post what kind of lighting conditions you have the plant in. Lack of light might also be a factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try double potting your Regia. Just get a pot that is 2" or bigger than the pot you have it in now. Then put the smaller pot in the bigger pot and fill in the space with Perlite, Sponge Rock, River pebbles (wash good), or just LFS. That should help keep the plant cooler during the day and night.

What kind of media are you using now and how do you water it?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light is definately not the problem as my 10g terrarium has over 9,000 lumens of light shining in it. Here are my conditions:
    Day Night
    85F 77F
    45% humidity 60% humidity
    Maybe the night time temp drop is not low enough for its leaves to grow properly? Would one of these effectively lower the night temp into the low 70s/upper 60s?
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dewy @ July 04 2006,2:42)]Light is definately not the problem as my 10g terrarium has over 9,000 lumens of light shining in it. Here are my conditions:
    Day Night
    85F 77F
    45% humidity 60% humidity
    Maybe the night time temp drop is not low enough for its leaves to grow properly? Would one of these effectively lower the night temp into the low 70s/upper 60s?
    dewy
    Only a 10g? Is it the only plant in there? Give it some more room to breathe.

Regia do the best with 75F daytime and a drop at night. I wouldn't get a fogger. Try installing a fan or just get a bigger tank.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of the last people in the world to share info on this plant but from what I've read over the years:

- many people grow as a windowsill plant
    - in general, it doesn't like high humidity
    - give the roots some room (check out Bob Z's plants (!!!))
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast