What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It just wont die!!

Alright I had a whole lot of burmanni and everything was cool. They flowered and died and I now have baby burmanni in all my pots and bogs, all is well.

But, there is one burmanni that has fired out around six flower stalks so far and has made tons of seed. I've been watching this plant ever since it made it's third stalk and here is what it's doing. It grows basil shoots on the main plant just like a Nep. Then the basil makes it's own stalk and flowers. But before it dies another basil shoot forms on it and continues with its own stalk.

So far this one burmanni is about an inch tall and it looks like a bunch of dead burmanni stacked on top of each other with a few live burmanni on top. I'm not worried about it at all because it looks healthy but out of about 200+ burmanni this is the only one that refuses to die. I'm wondering if this is common.

I'll try to get a pic of it tomarrow (it's dark out now)

Very weird. I haven't had a D. burmanii do that. They usually just get small and die once they flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] They usually just get small and die once they flower.
This is what happens to my burmanni as well. So, to answer your question, this would be uncommon from my observation, but in a very good way
smile_n_32.gif

-Homer

Here's a cellphone pick I took today. Sorry about how blurry it is but you can still see all the spent flower stalks and the dead leaves under the new growth and the newest stalk. That live stalk is #8!! I wonder if this is a record...

PICT0247.jpg

Seems like it likes living in your conditions.

I have one that's doing that, it's on rosette #3 but I think it's on it's way out... On the bright side, it's produced enough seed for about five 4-inch square pots. Good luck with yours! You should separate the seed from that specimen and see if the offspring have that characteristic as well.
Best luck,
~Joe

Capensis wanna be.
Alex

Maybe a new cultivar? D. Burmanii ' **** '

i agree with 7santiago.

take leaf cuttings and see if they do the same thing, then try it in different conditions.

D. Burmanni "Energizer"...it just keeps going and going
smile_n_32.gif

Alex

Well, it's now fireing up its 9th flower stalk. I'll take a few leaf cuttings from it and gather some of the seed to see if this behavior continues. Lets hope it's something new.

You prolly shouldn't do leaf cuttings with burmannii. It doesn't have many leaves and supposedly cuttings don't take too well for it.

Just wait for it to self. (If it doesn't self, I remembered wrong. Can someone help?)

My Burmannii 'Beerwah' gets, at the most, two stalks before it goes into a fatal decline.  However, almost all of my sessilifolia send up four or five and then just keep on living for months afterwards.  Perhaps your burmanni has a few of its' Brazilian cousins genes.  They are both promiscious little devils and cross pollinate easily in my experience.

Anyway, what ever I expect my Drosera to do, they constantaly break the rules.

Had to bump this thread with an update.

Right now that one burmanni is on flower stalk #20! From the looks of it it seems pretty healthy. But Ive also noticed another odd burmanni in my buch. This new guy has a flower stalk from the side and a stalk from dead center. I thought all burmanni sent up stalks from the side. But maybe I'm wrong

Thats pretty unreal, have you taken leaf cuttings?

It's pretty obvious now that the plant is on it's way out. Ive got tons of seed from it so I'll plant that and hope for a repeat.

I'd have to say I have very few that only flower once. Although that many is not my "common" I do have some that have flower stalks all over the place. Good growing!!
Andrew

Back