User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Enthusiast - Drosera Concerns-General Growing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    droseradude: What do you mean by getting an ID on it, this is probably a dumb question, but it's better to ask than to pretend to know.

I think that if I set up a terrarium, it will be rather small, and I doubt I will need something of that size JustLikeAPill. I originally wanted to grow them strictly outside, however now that I have them, it's slapped me in the face that that will not be possible 24/7/365 near chicago. The temps here today are about 90 with a humidity of about 85% yesterday was over 90%. So for right now I think it would be adequate, but not untill my new plants get some strength back! I'm in the process of reading the VFT care sheet from the forum, and if i have any questions i'll keep you posted... and I will still post some pics once I get home from work as I said, if anyone else has anything that would be helpful it would be appreciated!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can grow temperate species outside all year round in chicago i told myself i wouldn't get a big terrarium either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of species can I grow outside year round?.. also which ones do not fall in this list? Or is there a post or link that contains this information?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://sarracenia.com/faq.html

theres everything that should get you started. this is an excellent FAQ and is the first FAQ i ever went to many years ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You so much JustLikeAPill! This is perfect I'll post the pictures in a few hours!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]droseradude: What do you mean by getting an ID on it, this is probably a dumb question, but it's better to ask than to pretend to know.
    What he means is, do not put it outside untill you know exactly what your plant is. As has been mentioned before, D. adelae does not like full sun. Mine will only grow indoors under fluorescent lights.

Based on the description you have given, I would guess that you probably have a very young D. adelae. When you get your pictures up then we can give a positive ID.

There are a lot of plants that you can grow outside in your area. Problem is when winter gets here, you are going to be faced with dormancy for the VFTs and any temperate drosera, and most of the rest of the stuff is not going to be too happy with the snow and cold so you will need to deal with that as well.

The VFT's I would personally just put outside right now. I have never babied a VFT to get it aclimated to my weather. It goes right from the box to the pot and in the yard. Constantly moving and fidgeting with your plants only drags out the whole process. Put it where you are going to grow it, and leave it alone. Even rotating the pot a few degrees in its water tray can disturb the plant and cause new leaves to grow deformed. I find that my VFTs grow best where they get about 7 hours of direct sun starting in the early morning and then bright shade for the late (after 4pm) afternoon.

Good luck with your plants,
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks vft guy in SJ, I'll get the pictures up soon as I can, and put the VFT's outside when I get home. I hope everything goes well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just make sure it stays wet and worst case senerio you burn a couple leaves on the VFT which will be quickly replaced. other plants need to be eased into the sun a lil easier though or you will fry them.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast