User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flowering Detrimental to Health?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read in various places how flowering is detrimental to the health of Dionaea, and my question is a simple one: do Drosera suffer similar consequences when flowering?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, it requires a bit of energy to flower and for VFT's, especially ones that haven't had a dormancy and/or adequate lighting, it has the strong potential to do it in. However, from what I have observed, the worst I've had are a haggard looking plant (capensis, primuliflora). In some cases, the stalk comes up and the flower aborts (U. tricolor, P. cyclosecta). Only in the case of G. violacae have I seen both plant and flower mysteriously croak.

Bottom line... I wouldn't worry about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful, as I just potted a new drosera, and it has grown stalks, but not yet flowered, and I was considering clipping them so as to allow the plant more energy to establish itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some species I would say no...
    I have a paradoxa that was dying and still it did put up a flower stalk and that weakened the plant even more... So now i've cut the stalks of and my plant is improving a lot.

So my conclusion would be that flowering could also be a last attempt to spread before the plant dies...

Well thats what I think...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it flowers when very happy or about to die... but mostly when it's happy. My paradoxa flower for several weeks (months?) and I know it's not out of survival. This colony is happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let one of my new D. adelae bloom and it's doing fine. Growing like a weed. The flowers were tiny (1/8th inch) red little beauties. Now the seeds are still there, I guess maturing. I want to try germinating some now.

When are they ready? Do they just fall off?

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried hand-pollinating the flowers and waited until the pods were black. I rubbed the pods and wasn't sure if I saw any actual seeds. Fortunately, this species perpetuates itself nicely through the roots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I've tried hand-pollinating the flowers and waited until the pods were black. I rubbed the pods and wasn't sure if I saw any actual seeds. Fortunately, this species perpetuates itself nicely through the roots.
    I believe that you need more than one clone to successfully pollinate D. paradoxa... That's what I was told, at least. When my plant perks up and establishes, maybe we can trade shoots so we can get some seed going.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast