Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D.petiolaris Complex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine on a windowsill with a glass dome, and it does great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (mfh @ July 23 2006,10:53)]I seem to have really bad luck growing any of the Drosera in the petiolaris complex.
    Manny,
    Tell us more about what is actually happening. Are the plants to which you are referring just seedlings and getting smothered by algae? Are they full grown? What species of plants are they? What is your media? How old is it? Did you just get these plants and place them outside in the Miami sun? Any idea what the TDS of your water is (yes I know you said it's rainwater)?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've alays had my paradoxa on a window sill, open tray, similar to Homer. They must be the bombproof representative of the Petiolaris Complex, because they keep flowering and sending out new plants from the roots. No matter haow many I give away, they replenish themselves. On the other hand, Ihave a dilatato-petiolaris that looked great when I received it and went down hill from there. It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips. Can't say for sure why, other than perpetual shock. Any tips for this plant would be appreciated.

Setep - man am I jealous! I'd "kill".. or at least give up half my fiefdom for more species, like an ordensis, or a kanealy or broomensis or a.... first born male child (I've got 3 that I can spare!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 24 2006,9:47)]On the other hand, Ihave a dilatato-petiolaris that looked great when I received it and went down hill from there. It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips. Can't say for sure why, other than perpetual shock. Any tips for this plant would be appreciated.
    Jim,
    This is common behavior for thin-leaved flat-petiole glabrous plants in this group when they are exposed to lower humidity conditions. While they can sometimes grow in these conditions - they need to be slowly acclimated.

OTOH, if kept like this, the plant will likely die.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]It keeps sending up new leaves and then they have all blackened at the tips.
    I nearly lost a D. petiolaris due to this. As Ron stated so elequently, low humidity is the culprit.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand most of you grow them indoors under lights, but in South Florida this should not be necessary. I need that space for Heliamphora, Cephalotus, and Mexican Pings. I can't rememebr all the species I've had. But I know I've had dilato-petiolaris, broomensis, ordensis (?), kenealy, lanata, falconeri, etc. Probably all or most of them at some time or another. I use peat and sand (as well as w/ my other CP...no problems there). As far as the water...I can't tell you much more. It's rainwater...I get live sphagnum growth. Shouldn't be the water. The plants were not seedlings when I got them. And no I didn't expose them to sun as soon as I got them. I acclimated them. It could be that they were coming from an indoor environment. One in which the temperature and humidity was controlled and they could not deal with the drastic change. They don't actually die...they linger in this pathetic state.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently, or at least as of last week, I moved the dilatato-petiolaris to the attic, where it is toasty. It has been residing in a plastic tray of live, swampy, LFS. Lotsa heat and humidity to go around. There have been two leaves since that time and I am waiting to see if they'll blacken or not. I'm pen to suggestion as to how best to maintain heat and humidity. I'm also well aware the effects of keeping the plant in constant change.

And the paradoxa don't give a care what I do to them. They must be reproducing from the roots because I see 1/4" plants along the perimeter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Jim...it looks like you can send a couple paradoxas my way. When I get back to Miami maybe we can trade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast