User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sun Too Intense?? What Should I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I certianly hope they'll do alright. Once this heat wave passes, I'm sure I'll be able to let'em sit in the sun for a few hours a day, for sure by august I would think. I'm tempted to visit the nursery to pick up a couple more plants, but I would at least like to know that what I've got will thrive! Oh, and upon inspection, it seems as though the S. Pup. is getting it's fair share of meals already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright! We had 5 minutes of rain, and now the temp is steady at 87 in the sunshine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ugh, can't win back to 100 Back to the porch they go. if I leave them in this sun, i noticed the thinest parts of the plants turn brown, would new leaves be more immune to this, or is the plant incapable of adapting like this? Theyre back under the porch right now...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Existing growth may fry, but new growth is a gamble. Always best to start off in "bright shade" first for a couple weeks and then move closer to the sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 24 2006,2:38)]ugh, can't win back to 100 Back to the porch they go. if I leave them in this sun, i noticed the thinest parts of the plants turn brown, would new leaves be more immune to this, or is the plant incapable of adapting like this? Theyre back under the porch right now...
    The leaves turning brown is normal when acclimating plants to the outdoors. The new leaves should be very healthy and hardy in time.

About the temp. being over 100F in the sun, this is completely normal because the solar radiation from the sun actually warms the thermometer much higher than the actual temperature and is a misrepresentation of the actual temperature. Put the thermometer in the shade and see what is reads. As long as the temperature stays below 110F in the shade, then your plants will be perfectly fine.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This heat wave that is gripping the west right now is regularly giving me daytime temps of over 110*F in the shade. All of my outside plants are still right in the same places they were before the heat wave came. I have not lost a single plant to the heat yet, not even the Nepenthes.

Personally, with the excepion of the Drosera intermedia, I would find a permanent home for those plants where they will get direct sun from sunrise till about 2 or 3 pm. Put them there and leave them alone. All that moving about is not going to help them at all. As mentioned, existing leaves will probably fry, but new growth will be hardened off and should grow out fine. Also dont freak out if the first couple of the new traps that come up fry on the top before the trap forms.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ July 25 2006,1:50)]This heat wave that is gripping the west right now is regularly giving me daytime temps of over 110*F in the shade. All of my outside plants are still right in the same places they were before the heat wave came. I have not lost a single plant to the heat yet, not even the Nepenthes.

Personally, with the excepion of the Drosera intermedia, I would find a permanent home for those plants where they will get direct sun from sunrise till about 2 or 3 pm. Put them there and leave them alone. All that moving about is not going to help them at all. As mentioned, existing leaves will probably fry, but new growth will be hardened off and should grow out fine. Also dont freak out if the first couple of the new traps that come up fry on the top before the trap forms.

Cheers
    Steve
    wow, you answered my question before i even answered it. In the shade the temp reads anywhere from 87 - 93 ish, so in leaving them in the sun ought to be alright?poor plants, i feel bad to see existing growth broil, but if this is what will happen then that's fine i suppose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 25 2006,3:53)]wow, you answered my question before i even answered it. In the shade the temp reads anywhere from 87 - 93 ish, so in leaving them in the sun ought to be alright?poor plants, i feel bad to see existing growth broil, but if this is what will happen then that's fine i suppose
    Sounds fine to me. The new growth will turn brown and shrivel up while the new growth should be very healthy and hardy.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12